Running sub to reformat data onto sheet 2 really slow of get "Excel is not responding"

Rolnam

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello!
Glad to have found this site. Once upon a time I was a programmer, but really didn't so anything with VBA in excel.
Unfortunately, I believe I am using an overly large hammer to address my challenge with minimal efficiencies.

I ran the code below on the first 1,000 rows in sheet(1) and it ran in around 3 minutes. Output was 1,311 rows in sheet(2). This is really slow.
I need to run this for 60,000 rows - it shouldn't take hours should it?

I am confident there is a more elegant solution.
NOTES:
1. the starting data is a list of time punches; 1 row per person with all their punches for the day. (in, breaks, meals, out)
2. I need the data to be in sheet 2 as one line per set of in /out punches. For most they are part time and just have in and out.
3. since the punch pairs are all left to right (pairs and then blanks) I can check for the blank field to know how many pairs I will be writing to sheet(2).

Attachments

• VBA code - works but slow.png
    VBA code - works but slow.png
    190.5 KB · Views: 9

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Using Value = Value is much faster then copy and paste. Additionally, groups of adjacent cells can be done in a single action rather than individually, again speeding things up. If you post your code to the forum in an editable format then we can set up an example of this based on the sheets and ranges that you are using.

Clicking the </> icon on the reply toolbar will open a window that you can paste your code into so that it is formatted properly in your post.

Upvote 0
Using Value = Value is much faster then copy and paste. Additionally, groups of adjacent cells can be done in a single action rather than individually, again speeding things up. If you post your code to the forum in an editable format then we can set up an example of this based on the sheets and ranges that you are using.

Clicking the </> icon on the reply toolbar will open a window that you can paste your code into so that it is formatted properly in your post.
VBA Code:
Sub ConvertPunchRow()
    Dim NewRow As Long
    Dim i As Long
    NewRow = 1

For i = 2 To 1000
            If ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 5).Value = vbNullString Then
            ' Emp shift info
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 1).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow, 1)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 2).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow, 2)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 3).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow, 3)
            ' no breaks so just Start and End
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 4).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow, 4)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 13).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow, 5)
            NewRow = NewRow + 1
            GoTo ReadNextLine
            ' = = = 1 Break  = = =
            End If
            If ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 7).Value = vbNullString Then
            '1st new row
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 1).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow, 1)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 2).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow, 2)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 3).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow, 3)
            ' start to 1st break
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 4).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow, 4)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 5).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow, 5)
            '2nd new row
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 1).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 1, 1)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 2).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 1, 2)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 3).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 1, 3)
            ' last shift
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 6).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 1, 4)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 13).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 1, 5)
            NewRow = NewRow + 2
           GoTo ReadNextLine

' = = = 2 Breaks  = = =
            End If
            If ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 9).Value = vbNullString Then
            '==1st new row
            ' start to 1st break
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 5).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow, 5)
            '==2nd new row
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 1).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 1, 1)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 2).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 1, 2)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 3).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 1, 3)
            ' break end to next break start
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 6).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 1, 4)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 7).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 1, 5)
            '==3rd new row
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 1).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 2, 1)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 2).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 2, 2)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 3).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 2, 3)
            ' last shift
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 8).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 2, 4)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 13).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 2, 5)
            NewRow = NewRow + 3
           GoTo ReadNextLine
            ' = = = 3 Breaks  = = =
            End If
            If ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 11).Value = vbNullString Then
            '==1st new row
            ' start to 1st break
            '==2nd new row
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 7).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 1, 5)
            '==3rd new row
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 1).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 2, 1)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 2).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 2, 2)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 3).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 2, 3)
            ' 2nd break end to 3rd break start
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 8).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 2, 4)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 9).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 2, 5)
            '==4th new row
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 1).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 3, 1)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 2).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 3, 2)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 3).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 3, 3)
            ' last shift
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 10).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 3, 4)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 13).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 3, 5)
            NewRow = NewRow + 4
            GoTo ReadNextLine
            ' = = = 4 Breaks  = = =
            End If
            If ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 11).Value <> vbNullString Then
            '==1st new row
            ' start to 1st break
            '==2nd new row
            '==3rd new row
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 9).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 2, 5)
            '==4th new row
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 1).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 3, 1)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 2).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 3, 2)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 3).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 3, 3)
            ' 3rd break end to 4th break start
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 10).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 3, 4)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 11).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 3, 5)
            '==5th new row
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 1).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 4, 1)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 2).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 4, 2)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 3).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 4, 3)
            ' last shift
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 12).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 4, 4)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 13).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 4, 5)
            NewRow = NewRow + 5
            End If
ReadNextLine:
    Next i
End Sub

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Sub ConvertPunchRow()
    Dim NewRow As Long
    Dim i As Long
    NewRow = 1

For i = 2 To 1000
            If ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 5).Value = vbNullString Then
            ' Emp shift info
            ' no breaks so just Start and End
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 13).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow, 5)
            NewRow = NewRow + 1
            GoTo ReadNextLine
            ' = = = 1 Break  = = =
            End If
            If ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 7).Value = vbNullString Then
            '1st new row
            ' start to 1st break
            '2nd new row
            ' last shift
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 13).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 1, 5)
            NewRow = NewRow + 2
           GoTo ReadNextLine

' = = = 2 Breaks  = = =
            End If
            If ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 9).Value = vbNullString Then
            '==1st new row
            ' start to 1st break
            '==2nd new row
            '==3rd new row
            ' last shift
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 13).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 2, 5)
            NewRow = NewRow + 3
           GoTo ReadNextLine
            ' = = = 3 Breaks  = = =
            End If
            If ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 11).Value = vbNullString Then
            '==1st new row
            ' start to 1st break
            '==2nd new row
            '==3rd new row
            '==4th new row
            ' last shift
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 13).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 3, 5)
            NewRow = NewRow + 4
            GoTo ReadNextLine
            ' = = = 4 Breaks  = = =
            End If
            If ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 11).Value <> vbNullString Then
            '==1st new row
            ' start to 1st break
            '==2nd new row
            '==3rd new row
            '==4th new row
            ' 3rd break end to 4th break start
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 11).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 3, 5)
            '==5th new row
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 1).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 4, 1)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 2).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 4, 2)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 3).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 4, 3)
            ' last shift
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 12).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 4, 4)
                ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 13).Copy Destination:=ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow + 4, 5)
            NewRow = NewRow + 5
            End If
ReadNextLine:
    Next i
End Sub
thanks for the tip on posting @jasonb75. I am really new to this world, but need to start getting fluent for future work and analysis efforts.

Upvote 0
Can you also post a small, anonymised, example of your data.
MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0
So you are saying to use the Value (of destination cell) = Value (of source cell)?
kind of like
ThisWorkbook.Sheets(2).Cells(NewRow, 1).Value = ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 1).Value

Upvote 0
That's pretty much what I was thinking. You can also use Resize to do a continuous range of cells as a single operation. For example
VBA Code:
    Dim NewRow As Long, i As Long
    Dim ws1 As Worksheet, ws2 As Worksheet
    Set ws1 = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(1)
    Set ws2 = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(2)
    NewRow = 1

For i = 2 To 1000
            If ws1.Cells(i, 5).Value = vbNullString Then
            ' Emp shift info
                ws2.Cells(NewRow, 1).Resize(, 4).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 1).Resize(, 4).Value
                ws2.Cells(NewRow, 5).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 13).Value
                NewRow = NewRow + 1

Upvote 0
Can you also post a small, anonymised, example of your data.
MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.
I believe the Add-in is getting blocked from getting installed here at work. hopefully this short table cut-n-paste can be worked with.

Employee NumberEmployee NameShift DateStart ShiftStart Meal 1End Meal 1Start Meal 2End Meal 2Start Meal 3End Meal 3Start Meal 4End Meal 4End Shift
1234COURTNEY SMITH03/18/202110:02:00 AM12:07:00 PM
1234COURTNEY SMITH03/20/20219:09:00 AM1:08:00 PM
4321BROOKE TWO03/20/202111:15:00 AM8:44:00 PM
4321BROOKE TWO03/21/202111:28:00 AM6:22:00 PM
4321BROOKE TWO03/23/202110:50:00 AM4:06:00 PM4:26:00 PM7:15:00 PM
4321BROOKE TWO03/24/20219:54:00 AM4:35:00 PM4:59:00 PM7:16:00 PM
4321BROOKE TWO03/25/202110:22:00 AM7:41:00 PM
4321BROOKE TWO03/26/202110:54:00 AM5:06:00 PM5:29:00 PM8:03:00 PM
1111WANDA HALES03/14/202111:07:00 AM3:21:00 PM4:47:00 PM9:36:00 PM
1111WANDA HALES03/15/20218:02:00 AM8:37:00 AM8:55:00 AM4:57:00 PM6:09:00 PM10:17:00 PM
1111WANDA HALES03/16/20218:04:00 AM6:08:00 PM
1111WANDA HALES03/17/20218:00:00 AM8:29:00 AM8:50:00 AM5:36:00 PM6:06:00 PM10:40:00 PM
1111WANDA HALES03/18/20215:36:00 AM3:20:00 PM
2222ELIJAH BAKERTON03/27/20211:51:00 PM5:54:00 PM5:56:00 PM8:34:00 PM
3333ALYSSA ONE03/23/202111:01:00 AM4:02:00 PM
3333ALYSSA ONE03/25/20219:27:00 AM2:30:00 PM3:00:00 PM4:30:00 PM
3333ALYSSA ONE03/26/20214:05:00 PM9:32:00 PM
3333ALYSSA ONE03/27/20213:59:00 PM9:21:00 PM

Upvote 0
That's pretty much what I was thinking. You can also use Resize to do a continuous range of cells as a single operation. For example
VBA Code:
    NewRow = 1

For i = 2 To 1000
            ' Emp shift info
                NewRow = NewRow + 1
I shall experiment - thanks.

Upvote 0
The full edit, untested. I've tried to keep it as simple as possible so that you can hopefully follow it a bit easier.
VBA Code:
Sub ConvertPunchRow()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    NewRow = 1

For i = 2 To 1000
        ' Emp shift info
            NewRow = NewRow + 1

' = = = 1 Break  = = =
        ElseIf ws1.Cells(i, 7).Value = vbNullString Then
            ws2.Cells(NewRow, 1).Resize(, 5).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 1).Resize(, 5).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 1, 1).Resize(, 3).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 1).Resize(, 3).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 1, 4).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 6).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 1, 5).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 13).Value
            NewRow = NewRow + 2

' = = = 2 Breaks  = = =

ElseIf ws1.Cells(i, 9).Value = vbNullString Then
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 1, 4).Resize(, 2).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 6).Resize(, 2).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 2, 1).Resize(, 3).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 1).Resize(, 3).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 2, 4).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 8).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 2, 5).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 13).Value
            NewRow = NewRow + 3

' = = = 3 Breaks  = = =

ElseIf ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 11).Value = vbNullString Then
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 2, 4).Resize(, 2).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 8).Resize(, 2).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 3, 1).Resize(, 3).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 1).Resize(, 3).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 3, 4).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 10).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 3, 5).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 13).Value
            NewRow = NewRow + 4

' = = = 4 Breaks  = = =
        ElseIf ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 11).Value <> vbNullString Then
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 2, 4).Resize(, 2).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 8).Resize(, 2).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 3, 1).Resize(, 3).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 1).Resize(, 3).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 3, 4).Resize(, 2).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 10).Resize(, 2).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 4, 1).Resize(, 3).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 1).Resize(, 3).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 4, 4).Resize(, 2).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 12).Resize(, 2).Value
            NewRow = NewRow + 5
        End If
    Next i
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back