Running total formula?

Malthus101

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

Easy one here i'm sure - I have a column which I add new data to at the bottom.

I want a formula in a cell at the top (freeze pane) that will keep a running total as I add new numbers.

A SUM formula of some sort I suppose... but how to tell it to keep the addition going as I add them?

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Convert your range of data to a table. Every time you add a new line in a table it will automatically add those values to the Sum function.

Upvote 0
You can use a range in the formula large enough to cover any amount of data you may ever add.

a large range
Excel Formula:
=SUM(A1:A9999)

or the entire column
Excel Formula:
=SUM(A:A)

or a dynamic named range that auto expands: Dynamic Named Range in Excel

or convert your range to a table

Upvote 0
You can use a range in the formula large enough to cover any amount of data you may ever add.

a large range
Excel Formula:
=SUM(A1:A9999)

or the entire column
Excel Formula:
=SUM(A:A)

or a dynamic named range that auto expands: Dynamic Named Range in Excel

or convert your range to a table
I tried the entire column thing but get an error message:

excel - column.JPG

Upvote 0
with the entire range, you are probably including the total cell in the calculation. Try the table solution and see if that works for you

Upvote 0
with the entire range, you are probably including the total cell in the calculation. Try the table solution and see if that works for you
hi - yes that's what's happening. maybe I'll dedicate a cell that's not in any of the columns to keep a running total instead as I don't really want to use tables. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Changing the location will work, but out of curiosity what do you have against tables? They keep formatting and are easy to manipulate.

Upvote 0
Changing the location will work, but out of curiosity what do you have against tables? They keep formatting and are easy to manipulate.
I don't know, they just seem sort of superfluous! I mean, isn't excel itself just a giant table? I would have thought Excel would know people might want a running and updating total and have made some function to provide that! Seems strange to me...

Upvote 0
Tables are structured to allow uniformity. Otherwise, you just have ranges of data. There is a difference. But as your needs, either way will work for you. Thanks for your response. Good Luck.

BTW An interesting read Excel Tables

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back