Running Totals omitting blank cells

Brutium

Board Regular
Hello All,

I am currently working on a marking spreadsheet for teachers where the teachers need to have running scores regardless of how many mark entries they have for their students. I am using the followin formula to get a total, but what I need is a running total so that the students get an idea of how they are doing in the class. any suggestion on how I can modify this formula so that if there are no marks inputted in cells I can still get a % of how the student is doing?

=IFERROR(SUMPRODUCT(C$7:L$7,C9:L9)/SUMIF(C9:L9,"<>",C$7:L$7),"")

Thanks for any help you can provide me....
Brutium

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
I don't quite follow. Are the possible scores in C7-L7 and the student's scores in C9-L9?

Upvote 0
If the max possible score is in Row 7, and the achieved scores are in Row 9, divide the current formulae by 100, and format as %

Upvote 0
Sorry I should have explained better.
No, the value in row 7 are weights I give to the marks, so that for example a test is worth 4 times more than a quiz. Whereas the values in row 9 are what the students get in their tests (for example 85%) coming from a second worksheet. Does it make sense?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Again I need to be able to omit in my calculations columns (e.g. F,G,H) if there are no values in these columns and still come out with a running average based on the marks that I have for my students.
Thanks

Upvote 0
The formula you are using omits the blank cells because when sum product comes across a blank cell, it treats it as zero. It multiplies this imaginary zero by the cooresponding weight (equalling zero) and adds it to the total.

Upvote 0
Agreed (gsistek), unless there is any information missing from this problem, the answer is already being provided by original formula.

Upvote 0
Thank you all....
After a closer look at the formula I concurr with all you. What fooled me is the fact that the formula only gives me the %age of the mark that I have. I guess what I really need is to have whatever mark I have to show as a %age of the Final mark and not only as a %age of the the one mark. What I am trying to explain is that if I have marks for lets say Tests, Quizzes but not Labs and the weight of the mark in Labs is 15%, then the mark that I would like to show should be based on 85% of the Final Mark. And this should be ongoing.
Did I explain myself?

Brutium

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back