Save new workbook name in BeforeSave event?

Roopher

Board Regular
Hello all!

I have an issue with a command bar whose buttons shall work only when a certain workbook is active; this also when it has changed name due to an 'Save as...' operation. For that to work, a global variable needs to be updated every time when the workbook changes name.

The problem arises when the user saves the workbook under a new filename, which he is intended to be allowed (Save as...). With the BeforeSave event however I cannot catch the *new* filename into my comparison variable, but only the old one. I would need an event like 'AfterSave'.

Anyone with any idea on how to work this?

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
why not use

ThisWorkbook.Name

Instead of hardcoding a bookname like
Workooks("MyBook.xls")

Hope that helps..

Upvote 0
Issue:
I am having a command bar with buttons. These buttons must work only for a certain workbook.
I try to store the name of that certain workbook in a global variable in order to compare the ThisWorkbook.Name with this variable in order to determine on button-click whether the buttons are allowed to work or not (for cases where another workbook is active).

Problem:
How to store a new workbook name into a global variable when the user does a 'Save As' operation, i.e. changing the workbook's name? The inital name gets saved fine on a 'WorkbookOpen' event.
---

Hi jonmo1, thanks for the suggestion!

Yes, I am trying using "MyVariable = ThisWorkbook.Name" within the 'BeforeSave' event, but this will stick the *old* workbook filename only into the variable when the user undertakes a 'Save As' operation (to save the (template-) file with a meaningful name). I would need to store the *new* filename that the user assigns. Hence, where is a 'AfterSave' event in Excel VBA...

Ironically, when I tried using the 'WorkbookDeactivate' event to catch the workbook name, then the workbook name I am switching *to* is stored by the "MyVariable = ThisWorkbook.Name" - but not the name I am coming *from*! .grrrrrr

A solution is, as I had done before once, to have CommandButtons on the spreadsheet itself, rather than having buttons on a command bar. However, that does not look too fancy...

Upvote 0
This might get you started in a direction...
Try this in the ThisWorkbook Module

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)
Dim x As String
Application.EnableEvents = False
Cancel = True
x = Application.GetSaveAsFilename
If x = "False" Then Exit Sub
ThisWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=x
x = ThisWorkbook.Name
MsgBox x
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoom82

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back