Scalar formula gets same result as array formula

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I guess I still don't understand array formulas.

Why does the scalar version in D11 get the same result as the array version in D12?

In this case, is there any reason to use one vs the other?
Array Formulas 03 Skip col.jpg

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Office 365 natively treats formulas as array formulas. This is what happened.

J.Ty.

Upvote 0
Office 365 natively treats formulas as array formulas. This is what happened.
Cool (I think).

Is there any downside to this? That is, are there any expressions that will surprise me and behave differently than they used to?

I found this very interesting article about this and several; new functions:

Thanks for the tip

Upvote 0
Array formulas which produce an array of results spill by default in Excel 365. One particular strange downside is the new feature that INDEX(range,x) is an array and spills if x is 0 or close to it. It didn't spill in previous variants of Excel, and instead produced one of the values from range. I know of people whose spreadsheet was working somehow (I would rate this as a design error) with such situations and all of the sudden their formulas started spilling, causing circular references and other unwanted effects.

Below I put an example: test what happens when you change (or delete) the value in C1.

Book1
ABC
1AA1
2B
3C
4D
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1B1=INDEX(A1:A4,C1)

Upvote 0
Solution
Array formulas which produce an array of results spill by default in Excel 365. One particular strange downside is the new feature that INDEX(range,x) is an array and spills if x is 0 or close to it. It didn't spill in previous variants of Excel, and instead produced one of the values from range. I know of people whose spreadsheet was working somehow (I would rate this as a design error) with such situations and all of the sudden their formulas started spilling, causing circular references and other unwanted effects.
Ok, thanks. I have already gotten the spill error a few times.

Upvote 0
Hi Jennifer, if you ever don't want it to spill try putting the @ at the start of the formula (it is backwards compatible).

Upvote 0
Hi Jennifer, if you ever don't want it to spill try putting the @ at the start of the formula (it is backwards compatible).
Yeah, I have been meaning to do some experimenting with that "@" sign. I noticed that Excel 365 added it to a lot of the expressions in the workbooks I imported from Excel 2007. All of these little "enhancements" are why I procrastinated for years upgrading from my beloved XP.

Upvote 0
The @ isn't really an enhancement as it was always there but invisible on in the earlier versions (the Ctrl-Shift Enter used to over-ride it).

Upvote 0
The @ isn't really an enhancement as it was always there but invisible on in the earlier versions (the Ctrl-Shift Enter used to over-ride it).
Maybe "enhancement" was the wrong term. I was trying to be charitable.

Thanks for the clarification. I need to do a little more study.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back