Screen blanks out when running Excel VBA

cnatac2000

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Last year, I made a program that starts with Application.Screenupdating = false. As soon as the program is done, the Application.ScreenUpdating is set to true. However, the screen is still blank. I am running the same program that worked fine a year ago. This problem does not happen, with small data. This only happens when I process more that 2000 rows of data. To solve this, I save the processed file and re-opened it. The screen is refreshed and back to normal. I am using NVDIA graphics card

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
So it's not that the whole screen blanks out, it's that you're not seeing values in the cell, is that right?
Is it for the entire worksheet or just the area that was being processed? What happens if you then go and type something in to a cell - is that visible?

Upvote 0
It depends what kind of code process you are using.
Could you share the code?

Upvote 0
The whole screen blanks out. The code has many modules. However, this happens only when I am processing a worksheets with over 2000 rows. If I process a small number of transactions, it does not happen. I don't have big formulas except for sum(A7:A2000). I noticed that this happens when I am multitasking, Also, I am using Office 32-bit version. I think I should move to the 64-bit version.

Upvote 0
It depends what kind of code process you are using.
Could you share the code?
Does it? What code inadvertently causes the entire screen to blank out?
The only thing I can think of would be a memory leak, but I don't see how that would be happening here were rows on a worksheet are being processed.

Also, I am using Office 32-bit version. I think I should move to the 64-bit version.
I have both 32bit and 64bit, and probably more modules in any one workbook than one would is technically possible, and I've never seen this happen. What I don't have (and never have had) is a Nvidia Graphics card.

When you say: "I noticed that this happens when I am multitasking". does that mean that you've switched to another program, and then all of the sudden the screen blanks out and you can't see anything? How long for? I thought maybe you were suggesting it was limited to Excel, but if the "whole screen", that's something else entirely.

Upvote 0
Does it? What code inadvertently causes the entire screen to blank out?
The only thing I can think of would be a memory leak, but I don't see how that would be happening here were rows on a worksheet are being processed.

I have both 32bit and 64bit, and probably more modules in any one workbook than one would is technically possible, and I've never seen this happen. What I don't have (and never have had) is a Nvidia Graphics card.

When you say: "I noticed that this happens when I am multitasking". does that mean that you've switched to another program, and then all of the sudden the screen blanks out and you can't see anything? How long for? I thought maybe you were suggesting it was limited to Excel, but if the "whole screen", that's something else entirely.
I meant to say that say, I am reading the news on Yahoo news while running the Excel program. Sometimes, I a using Skype to call some friends while running the Excel program. When the system is done, the Excel program is blank, meaning the screen for Excel where you can see the Menu bars are completely gone. I know that the program finishes because, I included a message screen to tell that it is done. After the message screen, I turn the Application. Screenupdating to True, but the Excel screen is still blank- no Excel bars, no tbs to see. At this time, I just hit ALT S, to save what was finished. Then, I close Excel, using the Windows menu, to close it. The saved file is good with the usual Excel bars and tabs. It never happened to me during my 8 years of use of the same program except this year, after Windows update and Nvidia Graphics card update. Yesterday, the Excel told me that I don't have enough memory and should convert to 64 bit to avail of my 48 gig of RAM.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back