Search Box Code?

courtney

Hi,

I'm creating a database in Access 2007 to track the volunteers at the local animal shelter I work at. Currently, we have over 100 volunteers, so it is much needed.

I would like to make a form to look up volunteers by either their last or first name. I've google'd everything and the codes are overwhelming! I am hoping somebody can help me?

I have no problem sharing the database I've already created, if needed.

Thank you!
Courtney

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Why not just create a combo box to select the name from? In fact, if you have a bound form which you want to go to their record, you can have the wizard even code it for you. You go into design view on the form and select the combo box to add and the wizard should give you three options and the third is to find a record based on selection. Follow through the wizard and you have it. If you want to, you can have two combos (by following the same steps) but instead of last name for the one you can select first name as what you want to look for. The key is that it looks for the record ID associated with that user (which is what I hope you are using in your table to identify a volunteer).

Upvote 0
I've tried this, but maybe I messed it up. I made the combo box through the wizard, but then when I typed in a name it only did by the first letter and it didn't go to the record.

IE. Smith and Seabring -- I would type "S" and get "Seabring" but when I typed "M" it went to last names starting with "M"

I made the combo box in a separate form -- does it need to be in the same form as the volunteer records to go to the record?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back