Security Warning: No Macros Exist

HLS811

I have an Excel file which keeps getting a Security Warning: "<File Name>" Contains Macros. Macros may contain viruses. It is usually safe to disable macros, but if the macros are legitimate, you might lost some functionality.

Thats a standard message I've seen many times before, but there aren't any macros in this specific document. There are plenty of formulas in the workbook, but all self-contantained (within the individual page, none that pull data from other pages/books).

Is there something else that would cause it to pop up that warning?

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Are you certain there are no macros? Just because nothing displays in the macros dialog box (Tools\Macros\Macro) does not mean that there are none.
Open the VBE and take a look to make sure.

Also, the existance of any modules listed in the VBE--even if they are blank--will cause that message to appear. Delete any blank modules you find.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same issue. I don't see any macros, and I don't have any modules in VBE. Is there a better way to make the security message go away other than setting security level to low?

Upvote 0
I'm having the same issue. I don't see any macros, and I don't have any modules in VBE.
If you are getting the message, chances are there is VBA code or a module somewhere (I have never heard of it happening and there wasn't any code or at least at empty module).

Many times, code will exist not just in standard modules, but also in Excel objects, such as ThisWorkbook and each Sheet. Be sure to check each of these objects for code.

I would not recommend ever setting the security level to low.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back