Selected Cells Highlighting, GONE!

brymorg

Original posted in Excel Q's.

Can someone PLEASE tell me why, when I select various cells, in Excel, the highlighted cells are no longer shaded, as they used to be. This is most annoying when simultaneously selecting different groups of cells, as it's difficult to keep a visual track of the selected cells. If this is the result of a MS auto Update, is it at all possible to reverse the situation?

Win XP. Excel 2003.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
I have the same problem. But I just upgraded to Win XP x64 and the Office 2003 package. I assumed it was an XP x64 problem. I can't see ANY color in excel at all. Nor can I see borders in forums and other basic art files. Yet I can see .jpg, .png, flash and video files no problem. I've messed with nearly every setting I could think of, including reducing my color to 256 and messing with my graphics card settings. No luck so far.

But could just be like the formula feature (gotta hold control+` for formula's to show results)

Upvote 0
Ok Tree, thanks for your response. I just hope there's someone out there who knows what to do to cure this problem, it drives me mad. Especially as I often have need to highlight various groups of cells simultaneously.
Keep fingers crossed.

Upvote 0
The highlighting color is set according to the Appearance tab in the Display Settings. In particular the Selected Items color.

Right-click on the desktop and select Properties. Then go to the Appearance tab, select "Selected Items" in the Item dropdown and then set the color you would like.

Upvote 0
Kristy / Von Pookie, very many thanks for that cure to my prob. I knew of selected setting but as there was a greyish colour already selected which used to show up, I didn't try altering it. On reflection,I think I may have 'Lost' the shading when I changed to the "Silver" Colour Scheme. I've changed to a darker colour and it now shows up when highlighting cells in Excel. It just shows how dull one can be!
Kind regards,
Bryan.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back