Selecting next "empty" cell down from the current cell (summing at the top of a range)

Brian.Crawford

Board Regular
I am wanting to sum a column at the top of a group of rows (groups are separated from each other by a blank row and also [currently] have a unique identifier [column] per group).
I can do this with a VBA function, or in Excel directly using a helper column (counting the unique IDs) but have been unable to accomplish it directly on the WS without the helper column. I have been trying using
=SUM(OFFSET(CelltoSumInto,1,0,????????,1))
but have not figured out how to count the cells down from the cell to be summed into, to the next blank row (without the helper column).
ie
Total 50
item1 25
item2 25
(blank row)
Total 10
item3 5
item4 5

Any suggestions
Thanks Brian

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
I am wanting to sum a column at the top of a group of rows (groups are separated from each other by a blank row and also [currently] have a unique identifier [column] per group).
I can do this with a VBA function, or in Excel directly using a helper column (counting the unique IDs) but have been unable to accomplish it directly on the WS without the helper column. I have been trying using
=SUM(OFFSET(CelltoSumInto,1,0,????????,1))
but have not figured out how to count the cells down from the cell to be summed into, to the next blank row (without the helper column).
ie
Total 50
item1 25
item2 25
(blank row)
Total 10
item3 5
item4 5

Any suggestions
Thanks Brian
Excel Workbook
ABC
1Total5050
2item125
3item225
5Total1033
6item35
7item45
8item23
10Total111
11iemt56
12item755
Sheet1

Upvote 0
Thanks,
This looks to require a 3rd column which doesn't really work for my situation. Can I simply put the formula (as non-array) at the top of every group.
I know in advance how many groups there will be (they will pre-setup) but not how many items under each one (but at least the top total row plus one item row). it is intended that adding new "items" to a group will be done by a user instigated macro that inserts a new row and copies all required formula to that row. Probably should have described this previously
thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks,
This looks to require a 3rd column which doesn't really work for my situation. Can I simply put the formula (as non-array) at the top of every group.
I know in advance how many groups there will be (they will pre-setup) but not how many items under each one (but at least the top total row plus one item row). it is intended that adding new "items" to a group will be done by a user instigated macro that inserts a new row and copies all required formula to that row. Probably should have described this previously
thanks

If you need formula to be eneter beetween values you need VBA anyway.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faxgirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back