Separating and sorting money amounts...

mccdaddy

Board Regular
Hi. I often copy my bank statement info from an online account and paste it into a spreadsheet, using Data>Text-to-Columns>Delimited>Other> "$" to separate and sort the info. One of my accounts, however, does not use dollar signs and so I have to paste the data into Notepad, manually add the dollar signs and then paste the now sortable data into Excel. This becomes very tedious after a while. I'm wondering if there is a way to have Excel recognize and separate the money amounts under Text-to-Columns without having to enter dollar signs. I'm using Excel 2003 with ASAP Utilities.

Thanks for any help.

mccd

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Surely the data is separated by something better and more consistent than dollar signs -- spaces, tabs, ...

Upvote 0
True, but I paste the info into preformatted columns (Date-Transaction Type-Amount-Balance) and the Transaction Type column varies in length and number of characters. Using the $ Delimiter separates the money amounts, then Fixed Width separates the Date from the rest. Using spaces will often break the data into 20 columns. I need to keep everything within my four columns.

mccd

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nana abanyin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back