Set a cell value equal to a currently selected string

George C

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm trying to set up a feature in my workbook where a user can select an acronym anywhere on a spreadsheet and cell A1 will display the acronym selected. I'm planning to use the acronym appearing in A1 to display the spelled-out name in B1 via a lookup table.

For example, I'd like to set A1 equal to a currently selected text string. In this example, cell A2 has this text string in it: The CEO of ABC is John Smith.

I want to set A1 equal to any text string that I select. I click on A2 (making it the active cell) and select the acronym "CEO". I'd like A1 to instantly change its value to "CEO". I'll use CEO in a vlookup to set B1 equal to "Chief Executive Officer". Next, I select the acronym "ABC" in A2. I want A1 to instantly show a value of "ABC" (and B1 will instantly change to "American Broadcasting Corporation". And so on for any text string that I select anywhere on the spreadsheet.

I'm not trying to set A1 equal to the active cell's value -- this question was already answered in a thread back around 2006. I know that I can copy and paste the selected string into A1, but that involves extra steps. I don't want to use Smart Lookup (unless there is a way to customize Smart Lookup to just use my lookup table and not search the entire Internet). I just want to dynamically set A1 equal to the string that I have currently selected.

I'd appreciate any help on this.

Yongle, thanks for your time and suggestions. I'm going to try doing them this weekend. Will report back on what happened.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back