Sharing FE Database with users on Network.

Plukey

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Our AOR has a Database that was created by another colleague (Data Admin) that's no longer involved. It isn't split at the moment & its currently being used by 5-6 users that work for a subsidiary and only has access to our network folder where the Db lives. Its only 24,000 Kb it is used for auditing not for Data entry. Its constantly crashing and creating backup's because the 5 users are using the single shortcut... I advise them that ...what they're doing isn't recommended. My big mouth...I was asked to help. We have very strict rules here. I have to request to use .bat & .vbs scripts.
My plan is ...I'm going to split. and I need figure out the best way to share with the other users and limit the crashes and the lock up's... So, my question is...
1.Do I split & make a FE copy for each user?
2.Do I split & create a shortcut of the FE & share that?
3. Id love to use vbs script that uninstalls & installs and create shortcut. I

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
1 and 3.
3 is optional. For 5 or 6 users I'd install initially manually, then work on any autoupdates to the FE.

I used to use Bob larsen's Auto Updater Free Access Tools | BTAB Development
Others are available.
Some people just have a copy of the FE downloaded each time they open the DB.

Upvote 0
1 and 3.
3 is optional. For 5 or 6 users I'd install initially manually, then work on any autoupdates to the FE.

I used to use Bob larsen's Auto Updater Free Access Tools | BTAB Development
Others are available.
Ok, good stuff.. I'll read up on that link. I like the download each time the user opens the DB... Thanks for the the advise.

Upvote 0
Well that is one way to ensure they always get the latest version, but your network needs to be fast, else users are going to complain.
If the db is only going to be updated once in a whole, I consider that method inefficient, but that is just my view.
With Bob's method, they only get a new copy when actually needed.

Upvote 0
That is what I always used to do. I created a batch file and placed on their Desktops. It would do the following steps:
1. Delete the current copy of the FE from a folder in the C drive on their computer
2. Copied the latest version of the FE from a network drive to the folder on their C drive
3. Open the FE copy in the folder on their C drive

So every time they clicked on the batch file, it would copy a fresh copy of the FE down to their computer.
If I ever needed to make revisions/updates to the FE, I would simply replace the copy on the network that the batch files copy.
It also helps if they ever messed up their front-end or it somehow became corrupted, all the have to do is run that batch file to get a new copy of it.

It worked well. I used this method for years, and never really had any issues.

Upvote 0
Well that is one way to ensure they always get the latest version, but your network needs to be fast, else users are going to complain.
If the db is only going to be updated once in a whole, I consider that method inefficient, but that is just my view.
With Bob's method, they only get a new copy when actually needed.
I checked out the updater.. pretty cool I must say. Easy to use, I like the simple things. I did a test run, I split the DB & incorporated the updater. Copied the FE 5x's added each users name to each. Everything seems to work good. So, next I guess would be to see how it acts on our Network. That'll be the test since these guys work from home & it can be slow at times. But, just to clarify... If i make tweaks say over the weekend & I change the tbl_ version & Monday Morning the users open It'll automatically notice the updates and give them updated DB? Also.. Since, I have to get permission form the company to add me to our MacAfee list in order to use/run .vbs scripts That's a pain... I think this my best option.

Upvote 0
| see no use of adding a users name to the FE?
Are you expecting them to swap, what essentially is the same file?
If you update the version table, then when they open the DB it will automatically download the latest version and reopen.

You are only complicating it by wanting to append the username to the FE.
I also used to check the extension was an accde and the location. If either was not correct, I warned them and closed the DB.

Upvote 0
| see no use of adding a users name to the FE?
Are you expecting them to swap, what essentially is the same file?
If you update the version table, then when they open the DB it will automatically download the latest version and reopen.

You are only complicating it by wanting to append the username to the FE.
I also used to check the extension was an accde and the location. If either was not correct, I warned them and closed the DB.
Ok, I gotcha...So, I place one copy of the master front-end in their Network folder & have them drag it to their desktop?

Upvote 0
Well if you cannot run Bob's command file, that would the only way I would have thought?
I never put actual files on my desktop, just shortcuts to file locations.

Upvote 0
Well if you cannot run Bob's command file, that would the only way I would have thought?
I never put actual files on my desktop, just shortcuts to file locations.
Im using Bob's command as we speak... I've got two members of the group now using it. I didn't think of doing shortcut file location. One member just contacted me stating he received the msg, hit ok & it didn't re-open. and he got the following msg. His msg below..
1697127161973.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back