Shortcut to copy a long Column of data and/or Drag a formula down a long column

User Name

Spammer
I'm working with some spreadsheets that have nearly 200,000 rows. Sometimes I have to do manipulations in "smaller chunks of perhaps 100,000 cells in column A & B. Is there a quick way to select a large group so that I can cut and past without dragging the cursor all the way down the column? Alternately, is there a quick trick you can use to drag a formula all the way down a column.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
I'm working with some spreadsheets that have nearly 200,000 rows. Sometimes I have to do manipulations in "smaller chunks of perhaps 100,000 cells in column A & B. Is there a quick way to select a large group so that I can cut and past without dragging the cursor all the way down the column? Alternately, is there a quick trick you can use to drag a formula all the way down a column.
To quickly select a range...

Type the range address in the name box then hit Enter. The name box is that little "box" immediately above the column A header where it shows the cell address of the currently selected cell.

For example, to select the range A1:B10 you'd type A1:B10 in the name box then hit Enter.

To quickly copy a formula DOWN A COLUMN...

Select the formula cell
Left double click the fill handle

The fill handle is that little black square at the bottom right of the selected cell.

The formula will be copied down as far as there is a contiguous range of data on either side of the formula cell.

Upvote 0
I've asked a lot of questions on this board and been given a lot of great answers. I don't know why I've put up with the time consumption of dragging formulas down columns and/or copying huge sets of data but I have. Of all the great answers people have freely provided me on this board this trick (which I should have learned long ago) is probably going to save me day-to-day the most time and frustration.

Thank you again and Merry Christmas, Joyous Festivus and Happy New Year.

Upvote 0
I've asked a lot of questions on this board and been given a lot of great answers. I don't know why I've put up with the time consumption of dragging formulas down columns and/or copying huge sets of data but I have. Of all the great answers people have freely provided me on this board this trick (which I should have learned long ago) is probably going to save me day-to-day the most time and frustration.

Thank you again and Merry Christmas, Joyous Festivus and Happy New Year.
Isn't it great when we learn something new that is "earth-shattering" ?

Thanks for the great feedback! :cool:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobmudombe

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back