Slow search times in Access 97 database on a network

Henner

Board Regular
Hi,

I have an Access 97 database that sits on a Windows 98 2.0 Ghz PC and is shared on a network. Two Windows 2000 PC's have Access 97 installed on them with desktop shortcuts to the database.

When I open the database from the W2000 PC that has a 750Mhz CPU, it completes a search of the database in 8 seconds.

However, when I open the database from the other W2000 PC that has a 2.0 Ghz CPU, it takes 15 seconds to complete a search.

I can't work out faster W2000 PC is so much slower because it is the fastest when searching any other application shared on the network. I've also tried disabling the antivirus and firewall software but this made no difference.

Can anyone help please?

N.B. Access 97 (service pack 2) is installed on all PCs and W2000 Service Pack 4 is on the 2 W2000 PC's.

Thanks
Paul

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
You should probably try to focus more on redeveloping what you can in the database to improve the performance (Indexing fields which are used to filter your Search is where you want to start).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hherna01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back