Small Excel file but extremely slow

GrumpyChi

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have an Excel file which is 1,511 KB in size. Whenever I or anyone opens this file, it takes a very long time to load. Unless we turn on Manual calculations, it is impossible to navigate around the workbook without it getting stuck on "Calculation" which takes minutes for each and every click.

I have no idea why it is doing this. There are no macro's in the workbook.

The steps I have already done are removing objects from the workbook (the only objects were a couple of screenshots), ticked "Disable hardware graphics acceleration" under advanced options. It did not help.

Can anyone help please or have any other tips?

Thank you

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Unless we turn on Manual calculations
It's all about multiple lookups in a file. I already explained in a thread. Best option is what you have already done - SHIFT to MANUAL Calculations

Upvote 0
I have just read online that the Indirect formula could be a cause of this issue. Can anyone suggest an alternative to the below formula?

=IFERROR(IF(A2="","check",IF(MATCH(1,(O2=INDIRECT(R2&"!D:D"))*(A2=INDIRECT(R2&"!a:a")),0)>0,"ok","check")),"check")

Upvote 0
It's all about multiple lookups in a file. I already explained in a thread. Best option is what you have already done - SHIFT to MANUAL Calculations

Also, shifting to manual calculations won't work. I need it to be a live file.

Upvote 0
Actually this is the thread -

Upvote 0
=IFERROR(IF(A2="","check",IF(MATCH(1,(O2=INDIRECT(R2&"!D:D"))*(A2=INDIRECT(R2&"!a:a")),0)>0,"ok","check")),"check")
Yes Indirect formula can cause such issue

But if I'm right, better create a new thread to improve the formula. This way you will derive better help on it...

Still hope it catches eye of someone who is expert on it.

Upvote 0
Apart from using indirect your formula is also addressing complete columns e.g. "!D:D" that will slow down the calculation , can you change that to addressing a specific range, which could be a named range that calculates the last row.
Also how many different sheets might you get in R2?? If it is not very many you could get rid of the indirect by checking each sheet in the formula and then selecting which "if check" by checking whether the value in r2 is the same as your sheet check name

Upvote 0
Apart from using indirect your formula is also addressing complete columns e.g. "!D:D" that will slow down the calculation , can you change that to addressing a specific range, which could be a named range that calculates the last row.
Also how many different sheets might you get in R2?? If it is not very many you could get rid of the indirect by checking each sheet in the formula and then selecting which "if check" by checking whether the value in r2 is the same as your sheet check name
Hi there, that's a good point I can change D:D to look at a specific number of rows which wouldn't be more than say 20 for each tab. The R2 cell could be up to 30 separate tabs. I wouldn't know how to re-write this formula so I will try to create a new thread to look at this.

Upvote 0
for the multiple sheets there is also online help on that as well.
You can look at this:

But it is something like this:
the sheets must all be together in your workbook.

FirstSheet:LastSheet!R2

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doanvanhieu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back