Solve for Exponential Equation giving #NUM! error

Adecypher

Office Version
  1. 2016
Hi there,

I am trying to solve the following listed equation for the value of B1 using the Excel Solver and I am getting #NUM! error:

1648664180476.png

Please guide me on how to avoid the #NUM! error and solve for B1.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
It's unclear to me what you are trying to do and why Solver is involved. The formula in B2 is a function of B1, B5, B6, B7 and B8 all of which are defined. When you put 1 in B1 your formula tries to raise e to the 12609th power which is too big a number for excel to handle. That's where the NUM error comes from.
If I've misinterpreted what you are trying to do please clarify.

Upvote 0
First, check to see if your formula is correct. It's easy to miss something converting a long formula to Excel functions. Try a few known values to make sure it's right.

Given the formula as presented, like BadgerRoad said, you're going to get a huge number with the given values. Try changing the B1 value to 100, and it should calculate. Then I'd suggest using Goal Seek instead of Solver, it's all you need for this problem. So click on B2, then Goal Seek from the Data tab, then Set B2 to 200 (or whatever value you're looking for), by changing B1. I looked for a value of 200 and got this as a result:

Book1
AB
1x=298.513182
2f(x)=199.999988
5Φ1.09
6k0.00008617
7T2316.09
8T3302.59
Sheet11
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2B2=15.76*EXP((B$5/B$6)*((1/B1)-(1/B7)))+64.24*EXP((B$5/B$6)*((1/B1)-(1/B8)))-80

Upvote 0
@BadgerRoad,
First of thanks for the reply and yes it is my bad I did not explain the objective which is to solve the equation for T1 which is a term in the Arrhenius Equation called "Normal Service Temperature". As far as the overflow issue due to the computation of EXP in the formula; I guess the Solver method then is not appropriate here since I cannot get rid of the terms raised to the EXP.

@Eric W
Thanks for your reply, as I responded above unfortunately I cannot change the values (please see snapshot of the spreadsheet below for more info).

Spreadsheet1.png

Upvote 0
I'm struggling to understand the formula, in particular the T values. The written formula has T and T1, but no T2 or T3 in it, but in the Where: section, there is T1, T2, and T3, but no T. Moreover, I can't reconcile either version with your Excel formula.

As far as changing the values, I understand that some values are constants, and others are fixed parameters of the given problem. However, the way that Solver and Goal Seek both work, sometimes you need to start with a "guess" for the value you're looking for.

Upvote 0
I'm struggling to understand the formula, in particular the T values. The written formula has T and T1, but no T2 or T3 in it, but in the Where: section, there is T1, T2, and T3, but no T. Moreover, I can't reconcile either version with your Excel formula.

As far as changing the values, I understand that some values are constants, and others are fixed parameters of the given problem. However, the way that Solver and Goal Seek both work, sometimes you need to start with a "guess" for the value you're looking for.
Please disregard the value of T2 and T3; only need to solve for T1. I can move forward with either Solver or Goal Seek but first I need to know how to fix the #NUM! error, what I should change?

Upvote 0
@Eric W
I was able to resolve the issue of #NUM! error by changing the values in cell B1 (Please see below):

1648826140433.png

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back