MrFuz

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
  3. Mobile
  4. Web
Can someone help me using solver? solver says there is no feasible solution but I know there is. I’ve tried messing around with different solver methods and the options of solver but still can’t get it to work.

the two equations are:
x^2 * Y - 10^5 = 0
(3*Y) - (2*X) = 0

can someone try using solver to find values of X and Y? And send the file or a screensho?
(I have tried to upload an excel file or a picture but it doesn’t work.)

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Solver says there is no feasible solution but I know there is.
Welcome to the Forum!

This sounds like a homework question, where you've been asked to find the solution? Hence you "know" there is a solution?

The two equations are easily solved using Solver. But are you meant to be using Solver? They can also be solved in a few seconds using basic algebra.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Forum!

This sounds like a homework question, where you've been asked to find the solution? Hence you "know" there is a solution?

The two equations are easily solved using Solver. But are you meant to be using Solver? They can also be solved in a few seconds using basic algebra.
Yes it can be solved using basic algebra but I’ve been tasked with using solver to find the answer, and I’m having difficulties doing so

Upvote 0
OK, thanks.

In simple terms:

- Set up adjoining cells, x and y, with some arbitrary start values
- Set up your two formula cells: = x^2 * y - 100,000, and: = 3y - 2x

In Solver, you want to:

- Set the Objective as having a value of 0 for the first formula cell,
- By changing the range containing x and y (the Variable Cells)
- Subject to the Constraint that the second formula cell must also have the value 0.

Does that work for you?

Upvote 0
OK, thanks.

In simple terms:

- Set up adjoining cells, x and y, with some arbitrary start values
- Set up your two formula cells: = x^2 * y - 100,000, and: = 3y - 2x

In Solver, you want to:

- Set the Objective as having a value of 0 for the first formula cell,
- By changing the range containing x and y (the Variable Cells)
- Subject to the Constraint that the second formula cell must also have the value 0.

Does that work for you?
No, it doesn’t work. It says excel could not find a feasible solution. I have used solver before on other equations and it works but it doesn’t seem to be working for these equations. Is there a way I could send over the excel file? Or a screenshot because it says file size it too large and can’t be added

Upvote 0
To show a screenshot, you can use the XL2BB - Excel Range to BBCode add-in, so that other forum users can easily copy/paste your data and formulae. Here's my starting screenshot, for example:

ABCDE
2x2=x^2*y-100000-99988
3y3=3*x-2*y0
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E2E2=x^2*y-100000
E3E3=3*x-2*y
Named Ranges
NameRefers ToCells
solver_adj=Sheet1!$C$2:$C$3E2:E3
x=Sheet1!$C$2E2:E3
y=Sheet1!$C$3E2:E3

If you want to attach a file (and it doesn't contain confidential or sensitive information) you can upload to a drop box, and post the link here. But generally, not everyone can or will want to download files, so it may limit the number of replies you get to a question if you attach files, rather than screenshots.

Upvote 0
Im not sure how to really add add ins, I’m not that experienced with using excel. I might try XL2BB next time. Would it be possible for you to see my excel file from drop box.

Upvote 0
I’ve also got these 2 equations:
10^12 = X^2 * Y
2=3*Y / X

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I have no problems with solver using more simple equations but these ones don’t work with solver for me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back