split large cell to several cells, by formula

hocake

the question: i'd like to split a large cell in to smaller, fixed-size cells (columns) by a standard formula.

example: consider cell A1 = 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'
i'd like a formula that created B1 = 'ABCDE' C1 = 'FGHIJ' D1 = 'KLMNO', etc

I used =Left (A1, 5) and got A1 = 'ABCDE' easily enough. I'm stumped at coming up with a formula that provides the next 5, and the next 5, etc.

the setup: if you want to know why i really need to solve the question i'm asking rather than using the split cell function:

i have a large set of data from a vendor. ideally, this worksheet will be used for other vendors that submit data similarly.

the script i'm writing takes a specific format--which i can't logically hold the vendors to. so, my specific formatting is on one sheet, referencing the data from each vendor on another sheet.

there is one field of data from vendors that is large ( >4000 characters, typically). however, this field makes my SQL server puke. i need to break this field down in to chunks of 1000 characters, and then re-concatenate after it leaves SQL to its final destination.

because i want to use some script automation to reuse this project, i'm reluctant to just use the split cell function to break up the data. rather i'd like to use whatever data is provided, and referentially split it up in my pre-formatted data.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back