Office Version
  1. 2016
  2. 2013
  3. 2011
  4. 2010
  5. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
still trying to understand this beast, I have achieved what I want using PQ in Excel and decided to download PBI desktop and try and migrate my queries across
I have a csv data set with 120k plus rows of data which I read in, knock off a few columns add a few custom ones and name some columns
I then use this as a source for subsequent queries of this new data set
it appears that any child queries from the parent query, PBI reloads the csv every time all 120k+ rows
How do I make the initial load of the CSV static because for all intents and purposes it is once loaded
At the moment I am just choosing New Query and pointing source to the MasterData, do the query I wish
for each child query I create I get the wheels a turning saying loading csv for each one from child 1 to N

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
You can try taking the last step in the main query, go into the M editor and wrap it in Table.Buffer(). This function should load the entire table/csv into memory. Sometimes it makes it worse, but it’s with a try

Upvote 0
@Matt Allington What is the lifetime for want of a better word of a buffered table, does it get released at query end or does it persist for entire session
currently my child queries are setup as
line 1 source=masterdata
line 2 mybuffer= table.buffer(source)
so with your suggestion it would imply once buffered in the main query it will be available to all sub queries
with my approach of buffering in each sub query is going to flood memory with multiple instances of the same buffer

Upvote 0
short answer, IDK. What I believe should happen is the table should be loaded into memory during refresh, and avail for reuse from memory. But there are many codependencies, such as memory available, caching to disk, etc. as I said, I have seen as many instances where it makes it worse as when it makes it better. Try it, and see what happens.

Upvote 0
I will test setting up the buffered data as last line in my initial query as see if I can reference it in a child query and report back
might be a couple of hours until I can do that

Upvote 0
from testing i can with my limited knowlege find that the scope of a Table.buffer is to the query it was declared in and cannot be seen in subsequent separate queries.
I can only make reference to the master query and buffer it in the initial 2 steps, with PBI in the background refreshing the master query in any subsequent follow on queries, not very optimal

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back