Statistics Question

MntnrMark

Board Regular
I suspect a question of this sort has been asked before and I apologize if this a repetitive type of question.

I'm trying to complete a football statistics spreadsheet. Below is an image of the "in-game data" worksheet.

Passing_2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

The above image (I'm hoping I posted it from a URL correctly; if not, I'll try a different approach) shows four (4) different quarterbacks attempting and completing passes in the first quarter. (I have several nested IF statements that automatically enters a player's name from another worksheet in the file once that player's uniform number has been entered in column B of the above image.)

What I want to do is search the "in game data" worksheet and create - on a separate worksheet in the same file - a summary of the first quarter data, such that I can see the total number of passes attempted and completed by each individual quarterback. In the above example, quarterback Phil Dumfie completed 7 of 10 passes (chronologically in rows 3-12), Bill Smith completed 4 of 6 passes (rows 13-18), Ed West completed 2 of 4 passes (rows 19-22), and John Doe completed 1 of 2 passes (rows 23-24).

In the "summary" worksheet (below image) I want to capture totals for each respective quarterback's performance in the first quarter.

[img=http://s19.postimg.org/lg7sf03in/Passing_2.jpg]

I'm thinking VLOOKUP might be the way to do this, i.e., looking in the "in-game data" worksheet and summarizing how each quarterback did in terms of total passes attempted and completed in the "summary" worksheet, but I'm not well versed in using VLOOKUP. (Again, if I messed up posting an image of the summary worksheet correctly I'll try something else).

Any help in solving this would be GREATLY appreciated. If I can learn how to do this example I can apply it to rushing, receiving, etc. statistics.

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back