Status Bar doesn't show data if one cell is selected

KeepTrying

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Dear Guys,

It might be a silly question but.. why Excel doesn't show any data on the status bar at the bottom right (Average, Min, Max, Sum etc.) if only one cell is selected?
I googled for it but didn't find any solution. I know I can simulate status bar in VBA (like on this link) but I want to use Excel's built in feature.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

KeepTrying

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
It might be a silly question, but why would you want that data to appear on the status bar if only one cell is selected ?

Surely all data such as Average, Min, Max, Sum, Count etc are obvious ?

Count = 1
Average = Min = Max = Sum = Cell Value

Upvote 0
Thanks for your quick reply.
Let's say I select an entire column/row to see if it contains any data before delete it. If that column/row contains one cell (which I don't see on the screen) I won't realize it because status bar is empty. For me the most important is Count, Numerical Count and Sum.

Upvote 0
Despite it's pretty obvious I forgot to add: the one selected cell is not empty.

Upvote 0
Oh I see, but that's not "... one cell selected...", it's lots of cells selected :)

What I normally do in that situation is use a combination of the END and ARROW keys to find data in a column/row that I think might be empty.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the hint. So there are two parts of this issue:
1. when I select one (non empty) cell
2. when I select an entire row/column or a range and it contains only one non empty cell

In both cases status bar remains empty which I think it's not correct. Anyone has a workaround for this?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it's not necessary for the case where a single cell is selected - there is no information that would be provided by this, that you could not easily get elsewhere.

However I personally agree with you, that in the situation where many cells are selected, and only one is non-blank, then it would be helpful if the status bar did show these statistics.

I'm afraid I don't have a workaround myself, apart from the other methods I mentioned for identifying non-blank cells.

Upvote 0
Thank you Gerald for your help. I hope someone else will jump in and suggests a solution.

Upvote 0
I don't think there is a 'solution'.
The status bar is what it is, I don't see any way to make it do what you want.

The only solutions will actually just be workarounds.
I might suggest a macro that you assign to a shortcut key that would do like a Counta on Selection.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back