STOP Fuzzy Lookup skipping entries from RIGHT table if no match

Horia

Greetings!

Looked around for an answer but couldn't find anything. When using the Fuzzy Lookup function on two different tables, the resulting table only displays entries for which a match was found in both tables.

Is there any way in which the resulting "matched" table also displays the entries in both tables for which there was no match below the set threshold percent? My issue is that I am trying to compile 10 different tables with ~800 observations in each, but for which company names are sometimes misspelled. And as such, if I combine a table for which there was no match found, this entry (from the RIGHT table) is lost on the resulting "matched" table, but entries from the LEFT table for which no similarity was found are still displayed.

To clarify my problem a little more maybe: I want to match several columns according to company names from 2 tables. One tables has more entries than the other, and not all entries are necessarily repeated (some are new, some are old).

Is there any trick by which to combine both tables, to account for ALL the companies and keep the matching threshold at 0.85, instead of only ALL from the LEFT table and the corresponding matches for the RIGHT? Many thanks for your help!

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Hello,

I have the very same question and have not found an answer, which suggests to me that it is not possible with Fuzzy Lookup.

In my situation, Table 1 is the 'master' and Table 2 needs to be aligned with it. (Actually my lookup is not 'fuzzy', but exact matches.)
Fuzzy Lookup does this beautifully, BUT if there are NEW items in Table 2, they are simply ignored and left behind.
It makes sense, as there is no match, but in my case I do need these new items in the output.
I've looked for a setting or feature that would do this, but can't see anything.

If someone could confirm one way or the other it would be appreciated.

Guess I'm off to look for a VBA solution.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back