AlexanderBB

Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I want to type 135,136,137,138,134,139 into a cell on my worksheet
No matter what I try, Excel insists on changing it to 135136137138134000
I looked at Format Cells and Number was set to Number. I think it should be General
But if I make it General and enter the number again, it's changed back to Number.

Grrrr.. what's going on ? !! It's been ok for 28 rows and now this.

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Have you tried setting the format to Text

Upvote 0
Thanks, text sorted it. But the previous 27 are "General'. Ah well..

Whats XL2BB ?

Upvote 0
Actually text changes it to scientific notation,
How do I make it just display what I type ? Entering long numbers many times is a pain !

Upvote 0
XL2BB is an Excel Add-In that lets you post samples of your data in the Forum so that whoever helps doesn't have to recreate your data and also that they can see a sample of your actual data to determine patterns, location of the data, what data types are involved. Michael has a link to more information in his signature block.

Is your value a string of values or it meant to be a single number ?
Assuming you want it to be a string of values format the column you are entering the data into as Text BEFORE you enter the data into the cell(s).

Upvote 0
Got it, thanks Alex. The Before bit seems the trick. It's a string of numbers, comma delimited. Meant to be as typed in and not altered.
The things went nuts before, changing some numbers removing the commas and added some spaces before it.
I was just about to change to Access!
Does it matter where you enter your data e.g. fx bar or the cell, any difference to how Excel shows it?

Upvote 0
Another option is to add an apostrophe at the start, then excel take the characters that follow as text, no matter how the cell is formatted.

If you type '10/1 for example it will stay 10/1 instead of excel transforming it into a date.
'100,112,123 will stay 100,112,123 (assuming that you thousands separator is ",")

Speaking of thousands separator... if coma is your decimal separator you could use semicolon to separate your number in the string (or any other character different from the thousands separator character)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back