Struggling to change the CSV format to comma separated from semicolon separated despite changing the regional settings etc.

JayGatsby

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi guys,

I would like to ask for a help related to saving the CSV file in the UTF 8 encoding with comma delimiter as so far I was not able to achieve this.

I have tried to traditionally save the the excel sheet as CSV UTF-8, however when opening the file in Notepad++, I can see that the limiter remains as semicolon. Following this I did some research and also tried to change the the regional settings of my machine to make sure that the list separator is set to ","instead of ";" - once again, no success.

Lastly I have also followed instructions on Microsoft forum and played around with delimiters in the advanced settings of excel, yet, when opening the file in Notepad ++ the delimiter remains unchanged.

I do understand that i could do a manual find/replace in Notepad ++, but that doesn't really work for me as I want all my CSVs to be using the column separator unless I specify otherwise.

Would anybody be able to help with this?

I am not attaching the excel file as this does not seem to be allowed here, however, here is the screenshot from Notepad ++ and attempt to paste the content using the XL2BB.

Lastly, could this perhaps be somehow hard-coded on the data source side (as this file was previously extracted from sql server) - is there any way to amend it?

Your help is much appreciated.

samplecsv.csv
ABCDEFGHIJKL
1fieldinputdatenameissuesGenderfactsDate Of BirthCountry Of Birthlocation
2Operation14434PLUSMNJKLVELGRAMGBRJuneMaliGBR
3Operation24434PLUSMNJKLOLGAFGBRJulyMaliGBR
4Operation34434PLUSMNJKLPOINTERFGBRAugustMaliGBR
5Operation44434PLUSMNJKLFILANFGBRSeptemberMaliGBR
6Operation54434PLUSMNJKLFILANFGBROctoberMaliGBR
7Operation64434PLUSMNJKLFILANFGBRNovemberMaliGBR
samplecsv

thumbnail_csvCap.png

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
You can upload the file to a document-hosting site on the net and post a link here.

I copied and pasted the data in your post and saved the file in comma separated cvs file format. I then opened the file using notepad. I saw only comma, not semicolon. I tried it on both US and UK regional settings. Results were identical, no semicolon.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syzer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back