Struggling with Comparing 2 columns to 2 other columns

jone05

Hi all,
I've search Google and this forum and have been having a really tough time getting this formula right! I'm using Excel 2007 on Windows 7.

Here's the situation: I have 4 columns of data. Columns A and B are the product number(A) and customer info(B) from system 1. Columns C and D are the product number(C) and customer info(D) from system 2.

I need to be able to compare the info from A and B against the info from C and D. If the items are different, I need that to be noted in column E (doesn't matter if it says False, Variance, Different, etc.).

Thanks in advance! Please let me know if more information is needed.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Thanks, sfpowell! This formula works great. However, my concern (and I should have mentioned this) is that the product number/customer info isn't always in the same row between AB and CD.

For example: Customer 1 is in row 2 in the AB pairing. However, Customer 1 is in row 8 in the CD pairing.

Does this makes sense?

Upvote 0
I should have guessed it wouldn't have been that straightforward.
In that case, there might be an easier/better way to do it, but I would insert a column at the beginning and put this formula in the new Column A and drag down:
Code:
=B1&C1
This combines the data from the first source and makes it searchable.
Next put the following formula in Column F and drag down.
Code:
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(D1&E1,$A$1:$A$100,1,0)),"Different","")
In this formula make sure you include the $'s when referencing the Column A data and change the '100' to be whatever the bottom row of your data is.
If you want to clean it up when you are done, you can do a Copy - PasteSpecial Values on Column F and then delete Column A.

Upvote 0
I should have guessed it wouldn't have been that straightforward.
In that case, there might be an easier/better way to do it, but I would insert a column at the beginning and put this formula in the new Column A and drag down:
Code:
=B1&C1
This combines the data from the first source and makes it searchable.
Next put the following formula in Column F and drag down.
Code:
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(D1&E1,$A$1:$A$100,1,0)),"Different","")
In this formula make sure you include the $'s when referencing the Column A data and change the '100' to be whatever the bottom row of your data is.
If you want to clean it up when you are done, you can do a Copy - PasteSpecial Values on Column F and then delete Column A.

This is incredible. Thanks so much for your assistance!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back