SubForm

RayBan

Does a subform have an On Current event, and if yes, how do you get to it please?

Thanks

Yes you did, but you have to appreciate that that is an old version of Access. I moved to 2007 last year, so I hardly keep up with the latest releases.

However if you had bothered to look at my second link you will see that Subform in New Window is indeed available in Access 2003, so you have to find out why you cannot use it. That link gives one option.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Sorry for the frustration Rayban. I recall your note of using 2003 but I don't think the behavior is any different from my 2007. What you are describing sounds like what happens when the form that is the subform is open in either design or form view, probably layout view also, when the main form is open. Here's the best I think I can lay it out for you.

If the main and subform is closed and you open the main form in design view, the subform should show in the subform control. If you click once on the subform control, an colored line (orange in my case) should appear around the subform as the control is now selected. If you then right click on that line, the resulting shortcut menu should start with build options, editing, alignment and more stuff, with properties (for the property sheet) at the bottom with 'subform in new window' just above that. If you hit it right, you can get to this menu on a right click, but I find it's more reliable to ensure the control is active first. If you don't have the subform open in any view, and do find the option in the shortcut menu and open the subform, the white area spoken of will be the result. The only way to get it back to the original view is to close both forms and reopen the main form.

Of course, this all assumes you have bound a form to the subform control.
If none of that helps, then I know of no where to send you for paid help. That being said, we're all volunteers here, so if there is an acceptable way for you to post your db (such as Google drive) I will look at it for the usual fee - free - and see if I can help you out. Unfortunately, this site doesn't allow uploads of workbooks or databases for some reason.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies, one & all and esp. Micron ! Getting more intrigued with this and really would like to nut it out.

> Of course, this all assumes you have bound a form to the subform control.

Well I wonder... how could I confirm ? It's source object is a query.

Probably repeating myself, but I do see the Form/SubForm in design mode/view. And a click on the subform sees it becomes selected, with handles around etc. then a SubForm/SubReport dialog opens, with Options to Format,Data,Event,Other, All.

Does that help describe it any ?

Micron, I will get a standalone mdb ready showing my predicament. That might be easiest... if Dropbox Public folder still work.. they made some changes recently.

Upvote 0
Rayban,

I've just gone into a DB where I have a subform on a form.
If I select the subform control I get the Selection Type: Subform/Subreport entry in the Properties window.
If I select the Data tab I see Source Object field. However in mine I have the name of the form that is my subform NOT the query for the subform. That is the source for the form.
Also in this entry are the options for Link Master and Child fields.?

So it looks like you have done what was mentioned in my second link. You have not bound a form to the control?

So in the above entry add the relevant values, name of form, fields etc.

Then in you subform set the Record Source of the form to your query.

FWIW If you had dragged and dropped the form onto your main form the wizard would have done all this for you.?

HTH

Upvote 0
agree with welshgasman;
Well I wonder... how could I confirm ? It's source object is a query.
The source object of a subform control is the subform, not the query the subform is based on. Make the subform data source your query, the subform control source into the subform. You should be able to select the form to use as the subform from the property sheet on the data tab, on the line that says source object when the subform control is the selected control.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you want to experiment create two forms independently, then drag the second form into the first form. Now you have a form with a subform. You should be able to do everything in the subform that you expect, just as before when it was a regular form. I used Access 2003 for nearly 10 years so it's not missing anything you need.

It's difficult to imagine all your difficulties because when I put a subform in a form and select the subform (by right clicking the subform border) I see all the things I expect, including subform in new window and the view properties button, which is where I'd get the events tab. Perhaps you need to be right-clicking the subform border instead of left-clicking? It seems you can also click in the top left corner of the sub form itself on the grey square that is there, just as you would do in a normal form.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tungnmqn90

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back