sum formula, using cell to refer to sheet name.

NickYOW

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I am working on a sheet to track OT cost, I have a total page that has all the teams and months(periods), and extracts data from report that are save as sheet with date format. Currently I have =sumifs('06.03.2024'!F:F,'06.03.2024'!A:A,'06.03.2024'!B:B,N3) I would like it so that the 06.03.2024 is replaced with the cell(G6) it is in this way I can just copy the formula over and not have to go and change the date in formula every time I do a update for the next period. looking for something like this sumifs('b$1'!$F:$F,'$b1'!$A:$A,'$b1'!$B:$B,$N3) next period sumifs('c$1'!$F$:F,'c$1'!$A:$A,'c$1'!$B:$B,N$3) and so on. I have attempted indirect but not working. I might be missing something. thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Excel.png
    Excel.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 8

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
no, you cannot do what you're requesting. here are a couple of options for you to consider...

''option 1, find and replace. you can try using this macro

1711664320608.png

VBA Code:
Sub Macro5_find_replace()
''recorded    Cells.Replace What:="06.03.2024", Replacement:="06.04.1989", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False, FormulaVersion:=xlReplaceFormula2
''written with reference to cells G3, G5
    Cells.Replace What:=Range("g3"), Replacement:=Range("g5"), LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False, FormulaVersion:=xlReplaceFormula2
End Sub

Option 2...
it's a bit more complicated than simply changing the cell and use that cell as a reference in a formula. What you can do is write the formula in pieces, concatenate the pieces so it looks like a formula, then copy, paste values. then the final step is to parse that value. once the value is parsed, it becomes a formula. here is a picture and the code. in this case, your "live" formula will be in R1 and R5. you can run the code by hitting F8, hitting F8 will allow you to see the code run line by line so you can see exactly what it is doing. This was all done using Record Macro, nothing written by hand, except for the comments. Cheers!
1711663751173.png

VBA Code:
Sub Macro1___Design_formula()'
    Application.Goto Reference:="R4C7"
    Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "''manually enter into G5"

''begin designing the formula
    Application.Goto Reference:="R5C9"
    Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "'=sumifs('"
    ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Range("A1").Select
    Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-3]"
    Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "''!F:F,'"
    Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-5]"
    Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "''!A:A,'"
    Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-7]"
    Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "''!B:B,N3)"
''concatenate the cells so it looks like a formula
    Application.Goto Reference:="R5C17"
    Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-8]&RC[-7]&RC[-6]&RC[-5]&RC[-4]&RC[-3]&RC[-2]"
'''copy the formula, paste as values, so it is now working with values
    Selection.Copy
    Application.Goto Reference:="R5C18"
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
    Selection.Copy
''past to row1, as row1 needs to be NOT empty when parsing
    Application.Goto Reference:="R1C18"
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
'parse into general format.  parsing will convert the value into a formula since it has the equal sign in front
    Application.Goto Reference:="R1C18"
    ActiveCell.Columns("A:A").EntireColumn.Select
    Selection.TextToColumns Destination:=ActiveCell, DataType:=xlDelimited, TextQualifier:=xlNone, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=False, Semicolon:=False, Comma:=False, Space:=False, Other:=False, FieldInfo:=Array(1, 1), TrailingMinusNumbers:=True
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the first image occurred after i ran the macro. this is what i meant. cheers!
1711664601178.png

Upvote 0
I am working on a sheet to track OT cost, I have a total page that has all the teams and months(periods), and extracts data from report that are save as sheet with date format. Currently I have =sumifs('06.03.2024'!F:F,'06.03.2024'!A:A,'06.03.2024'!B:B,N3) I would like it so that the 06.03.2024 is replaced with the cell(G6) it is in this way I can just copy the formula over and not have to go and change the date in formula every time I do a update for the next period. looking for something like this sumifs('b$1'!$F:$F,'$b1'!$A:$A,'$b1'!$B:$B,$N3) next period sumifs('c$1'!$F$:F,'c$1'!$A:$A,'c$1'!$B:$B,N$3) and so on. I have attempted indirect but not working. I might be missing something. thanks in advance.
Are you trying to put the sheet names in cells and reference those cells for the sheet names? That can be done with INDIRECT...
Book1
ABCD
Sheet4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1:C3C1=INDIRECT("'"&A1&"'!A1")
D1D1='06.03.2024'!A$1
D2D2='06.04.2024'!A$1
D3D3='06.05.2024'!A$1

no, you cannot do what you're requesting.
Looks like they want to change the sheet names, which can be done... but I may be wrong.

Upvote 0
Are you trying to put the sheet names in cells and reference those cells for the sheet names? That can be done with INDIRECT...
Book1
ABCD
Sheet4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1:C3C1=INDIRECT("'"&A1&"'!A1")
D1D1='06.03.2024'!A$1
D2D2='06.04.2024'!A$1
D3D3='06.05.2024'!A$1

Looks like they want to change the sheet names, which can be done... but I may be wrong.
yes I want to have 12 sheets with dates but they will very, it might be 02.04.2024, 04.05.2024, .01.06.2024,(theses will the sheet names) so what ever is entered in the row 5 will be the reference to the sheet, and then from there the formula will reference the cell that is related to that sheet this way I don't have to manually enter the date(sheet name) it into every formula over and over. it refer to the sheet with that date, will find the team 601 and the period and return a number.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
remmuS24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back