Sum if specific letter with number

data808

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Is there a sum if formula if a range of cells has a specific letter with a number? I want to sum the totals for vacation and sick leaves and I will be entering "V8" or "S8" for example. The letter V represents vacation and the letter S is for sick. The number 8 represents the amount of hours they used a specific type of leave so that number could change into quarters as well. Example, V3.25 as they may only need a part of the day to take off for vacation. So basically a range of cells that I type this data into will represent each day of the month and then 2 cells to sum up the vacation and sick totals separately.

Example would be cells A1:AD1 will be the range that I type in V8 or S8 and I would like cell A2 (vacation total) to sum up all the hours of V8s that are typed in the A1:AD1 range. Then cell B2 (sick total) to sum up all the hours for S8 that are typed into the A1:AD1 range.

Is this possible? Thank you so much for the help.

May also need an option for changing V8 to EV8 sometimes for emergency vacation and S8 may change to MA8 for medical appointment. The summing of these changes will still go into the same totals. I just need to be able to add these other options for vacation and sick.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
The following formula works for V8 and others with only one letter.

=SUMPRODUCT((LEFT(A1:AD1,1)="V")*(RIGHT(A1:E1,LEN(A1:AD1)-1)))

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for the reply. The formula did not work for me. What is the A1:E1 before the LEN for? Also would I be able to add an OR function for another criteria instead of just “V”?

The following formula works for V8 and others with only one letter.

=SUMPRODUCT((LEFT(A1:AD1,1)="V")*(RIGHT(A1:E1,LEN(A1:AD1)-1)))

Upvote 0
How about:

Book1
ABCDEFG
1S4V8S5V7
4Sick9
5Vacation15
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B4B4=SUMPRODUCT(--(MID($A$1:$D$1,2,2)),--(LEFT($A$1:$D$1)="S"))
B5B5=SUMPRODUCT(--(MID($A$1:$D$1,2,2)),--(LEFT($A$1:$D$1)="V"))

Upvote 0
Thanks this is actually working. I noticed without data entered I get a VALUE error in the cell thats supposed to sum the total. Can that be remedied? Also need a decimal to sum quarters like 4.25 hours if they only use partial day.

Other criteria would be to do an OR function in case I have to type in MA8 for medical appointments. This would still go under the same total for sick leave. Then there is EV8 for emergency vacation which would also be summed up in the vacation totals.

Thanks again for the help. This is getting interesting.

What are your other criteria?

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for the reply. The formula did not work for me. What is the A1:E1 before the LEN for? Also would I be able to add an OR function for another criteria instead of just “V”?
I tested it on A1:E1 and forgot to replace it with AD1 when posting.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back