sum in a query

everwhat

Board Regular
I have created query which I pulled some fields from three tables that are link together. In the design view I’ve created some extra fields to sum and place amounts based on my criteria. See below:

Future: Sum(IIf([GL]![Record Type]="Future",[GL]![Amount]))

Budget: Sum(IIf([GL]![Record Type]="Budget",[GL]!Amount))

Reclass: Sum(IIf([GL]![Record Type]="Reclass",[GL]!Amount))

Assumption: Sum(IIf([GL]![Record Type]="Assumption",[GL]!Amount))

Amts: Sum(IIf([GL]![Record Type]="Amts",[GL]!Amount

Total: Sum(IIf([GL]![Record Type]="Amts" Or [GL]![Record Type]="Assumption" Or [GL]![Record Type]="Budget" Or [GL]![Record Type]="Reclass",[GL]!Amount))

I have created another field to subtract Future from Total, ( see below) but the amounts will not populate when I run the query.
Do you have any suggestions?

Var: [Future]-[Total]

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
You have only provided a value for the True case in the IIf statement. You need to add a ", 0" to each IIf statement above.
Also, you stated you were subtracting Future from Total, but then what you showed was Var: Future - Total which is subtracting Total from Future. Which one is what you want?
HTH,

Upvote 0
I had misstated myself, I want to subtract Total from Future.

Could you take one of my statement, such as the one below and tell me how I would place the zero?
Total: Sum(IIf([GL]![Record Type]="Amts" Or [GL]![Record Type]="Assumption" Or [GL]![Record Type]="Budget" Or [GL]![Record Type]="Reclass",[GL]!Amount))

Upvote 0
I had misstated myself, I want to subtract Total from Future.

Could you take one of my statement, such as the one below and tell me how I would place the zero?

Upvote 0
Assumption: Sum(IIf([GL]![Record Type]="Assumption",[GL]!Amount, 0))
The syntax for the IIf statement is in the Help file with Access. It is always a good idea to review the Help topic when working with something new, or when it does not work correctly.

Upvote 0
Building on what Vic said...

Get the first set of calculation fields working. Then --

Your field [Total] - [Future] will not work in this query, because Access doesn't store intermediate calculations. You will need to write it with the full expressions that calculated Total and Future, like:

Sum(IIf([GL]![Record Type]="Amts" Or [GL]![Record Type]="Assumption" Or [GL]![Record Type]="Budget" Or [GL]![Record Type]="Reclass",[GL]!Amount),0) - Sum(IIf([GL]![Record Type]="Future",[GL]![Amount]),0)

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksonnia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back