Sum Row Based on Conditions

Boaesh

I've been trying to finding the solution to my problem, but figured I'd finally reach out to the professionals.

The Table.

Row 1 would be a list of games being played. B1 would be team1 vs team2, C1 would be team3 vs team 4, D1 team5 vs team6.

Row 2 would have a list of the team that won.

Row 3 would have Bill's selections & Row 4 would be his confidence points on each team winning.
Row 5 would have John's selections & Row 6 would be his confidence points for each team winning.

I'd like to sum cell B4 to D4. The condition of the sum is based on whether each person's selected teams won the game. So Bill gets 6pts for team1 winning, 3pts for team3 winning, but no pts for his team6 selection because they lost to team5. Had team6 won, his total would be 18.

GAME 1
GAME 2
GAME 3
TOTAL PTS
this row would contain a list of winners
TEAM1
TEAM3
TEAM5
BILL
TEAM1
TEAM3
TEAM6
JOHN
TEAM2
TEAM3
TEAM5

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
There might be a more sophisticated formula, but you can just use a series of IFs:
=IF(B3=$B$2,B4,0)+IF(C3=$C$2,C4,0)+IF(D3=$D$2,D4,0)
If Bill's team in B3 matches the winner in B2, then take the points value in B4, otherwise 0. Then add the same thing in column C and the same thing in column D.

You can then copy/paste that formula to John's row, and any others. If you had additional games, you would add more IF statements to the end for whichever column you need.

Upvote 0
Thank you
esseispercipi4. I had something similar worked up, but I have more than just 3 columns and it was time consuming.

crazydragon84 That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
futureskillsacademy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back