SUMIF using multiple worksheets

knewmeyer

I have a statistics spreadsheet I've create that has 3 tabs--One a summary, and the other two running totals of reference statistics. I'm using a SumIf formulate to calculate the total time spent on each specific date from the running totals sheets. That amount then goes on to the summary sheet and finally being totaled. The problem is that the formula gives the correct amount on each running totals sheet, but does not give the correct amount on the summary sheet.

• The formula on the summary sheet looks like this: =SUMIF(Karen!$B$3:$B$146,"5/18/2016",Karen!$E$3:$E$146) giving a total of 11 (way off).
  • If I put it on the running total for Karen, it looks like this: =SUMIF($B$3:$B$146,"5/18/2016",$E$3:$E$146) giving a total of 132 (correct).
  • If I use the results for the formula on the running total and drop it into the appropriate place on the summary sheet, it shows 11 again.

I would prefer to put the formula on the summary sheet, but even trying to by-pass it and putting it on the running totals sheets and then popping it into the summary sheet, doesn't work. I know you are supposed to be able to use multiple sheets with the sumif formula. It works just fine with the Countifs formula.

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks
Karen

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Hi Karen,

I tested the formulas by setting up WorkSheets Summary and Karen.

I then put data in and used your formulas in both WorkSheets, the totals for the Karen WorkSheet totalled correctly and the totals for the Summary WorkSheet pulled through and totalled correctly.

You said that there were TWO running totals WorkSheets, what is the name of the second one?

Pehaps if you were to upload the file, with any sensitive data removed we might be able to help further!

I hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back