SUMIFS - using the year function as part of an array

dhsilv2

Board Regular
I'm trying to us both sumifs and countifs to gather various information on a set of loans. I'm wanting to look at the year the loan was originated as one of my criteria in these statements, but the dates are stored with the actual date.

I find that sumifs and countifs are generally MUCH faster built in functions in excel than sumproduct or building a sum if array.

{=SUMPRODUCT(--(IFERROR(YEAR(U:U),0)=2014),AV:AV)}
{=SUM(IF((IFERROR(YEAR(U:U),0)=2014),AV:AV))}

Both of these work and provide the answer I need, however this is a huge spread sheet and I would be more comfortable if I could put this into a sumifs statement.

=SUMIFS(AV:AV,year(U:U),2014) does not work
=SUMIFS(AV:AV,iferror(year(U:U),0),2014) also does not work

Is there something in the sumifs function's logic that is not allowing this to work or is there just some slight syntax that I'm missing here?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
You cant do that with sumif/s as you have discovered. How huge is huge? Instead of using full columns use more appropriate ranges AV1:AV10000 for example. Failing that you could use helper column with YEAR(U1) in that then use the sumif on that instead.

Upvote 0
You cant do that with sumif/s as you have discovered. How huge is huge? Instead of using full columns use more appropriate ranges AV1:AV10000 for example. Failing that you could use helper column with YEAR(U1) in that then use the sumif on that instead.

Do you know why the sumifs is failing, just for my general knowledge?

Spread sheet is about 1.8 gigs and range references lead to mistakes down the road far too often.

Upvote 0
You could do

=SUMIFS(AV:AV,U:U,">=1/1/2014",U:U,"<=12/31/2014")

This is what I'm going to go with, but it requires me to add some hidden cells so this can be formula driven for each year. Oh well, this is why everything needs to be in SQL

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rehanahmadawan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back