sumifs with sum range across 2 columns

kerevenk

I have tried several different formulas to get the results I need. The one that seems the most logical to me is sumifs but I keep getting a #value error. I do not understand why since all dates are formatted as dates and all numbers as numbers. I was hoping someone would have a solution to my problem.

Here is what I am trying to accomplish:
Prod workbook contains due dates and release dates and quantities. daily tracker sums up the qty available to release for each day and sums up the quantity released by its due date. If date released and second date are <= the date due then the sums of both qty released columns needs to entered in the amount released column on daily tracker.

I have included the formula I am currently trying to use in the examples below. I was unable to attach any actual files. Please offer any advice/solutions you have.

prod workbook
date duedate releasedsecond date releasedqty availableqty releasedqty released
12/1/1512/1/1512/5/151005050
12/1/1512/1/15100100
12/1/1512/1/1512/4/151002575
12/2/1512/2/15100100
12/2/1512/5/1510025

<tbody>
</tbody>

daily tracker
dateamount dueamount released
12/1/15300=SUMIFS('[prod workbook.xlsx]Sheet1'!$E$2:$F$6,'[prod workbook.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A$2:$A$6,A2,'[prod workbook.xlsx]Sheet1'!$B$2:$B$6,"<='[prod workbook.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A$2:$A$6",'[prod workbook.xlsx]Sheet1'!$C$2:$C$6,"<='[prod workbook.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A$2:$A$6")
12/2/15200

<tbody>
</tbody>

<colgroup><col span="3"><col><col span="2"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
kerevenk,

can you give an example of what should be added on the amount released for 12/1/15 and 12/2/15 on your example?

the reason you are getting the VALUE# error is because you are using for criteria "<='[prod workbook.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A$2:$A$6" the " makes the whole thing a string, it's not really functioning as a range.

if you can be a little more explicit of what needs to be added under which conditions I can help.

cheers,

Angel

Upvote 0
Try,

1] Total amount due B2, formula copy down:

=SUMIF(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$6,A2,Sheet1!$D$2)

2] Total amount released C2, formula copy down :

=SUM(SUMIF(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$6,A2,INDIRECT({"Sheet1!E","Sheet1!F"}&2)))

Regards

Upvote 0
kerevenk,

can you give an example of what should be added on the amount released for 12/1/15 and 12/2/15 on your example?

the reason you are getting the VALUE# error is because you are using for criteria "<='[prod workbook.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A$2:$A$6" the " makes the whole thing a string, it's not really functioning as a range.

if you can be a little more explicit of what needs to be added under which conditions I can help.

cheers,

Angel

If the date in daily tracker is 12/1/15 and the due date is 12/1/15 then any amount that was released on or before 12/1/15 needs to be added.

So in the example provided for 12/1/15 the amount released should add up to 175 and that sum should go in column C in the daily tracker.

I hope this makes it more clear what I am trying to do. also do you have a recommendation on how I can tell it to evaluate whether columns B and C in the prod workbook are <= column A and get results?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back