SUMPRODUCT for ranking with multiple criteria

HilaryExcel

I'm using SUMPRODUCT in place of the missing 'RANKIF' option in Excel2010, but there are gaps in the results. Ranking 1, 2, 3 might be populated correctly but there will be no result for ranking 4 and 5 for example. Why is this happening? And can I make a change to avoid this?
Example of the formula:

=SUMPRODUCT(--($Y5=$Y$5:$Y$10000),--($AZ5<$AZ$5:$AZ$10000))+1

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
That will rank based on the order of the numbers in AZ and the text in Y. It will 'miss' numbers if there are ties as would RANK.

Upvote 0
That will rank based on the order of the numbers in AZ and the text in Y. It will 'miss' numbers if there are ties as would RANK.

Thanks stevethefish.
I've separated one individual criteria and applied RANK to check the SUMPRODUCT was working (and it is). The result with RANK is 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. With SUMPRODUCT I get 1, 2, blank, blank, blank, 6 etc.
Is there another option? Is there any option to return the repeated ranking?

Thank you

Upvote 0
I cant see how you produce blank with that formula. What is the formula you are using?

Upvote 0
Sorry, I don't speak excel very well... =SUMPRODUCT(--($Y5=$Y$5:$Y$10000),--($AZ5<$AZ$5:$AZ$10000))+1 returns #N/A instead of the items with repeated rankings. (I just cut out the errors with IFERROR "")

Upvote 0
I really cant see why. If any of the cells in Y5:Y10000 or AZ5:AZ10000 had #n/a then all of the sumproduct formulas would error. What is in Y and AZ where they fail?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
burgsrus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back