swapping 2 selected cells/ranges -vba

lezawang

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi
I wrote a code to swap 2 cells. Can I swap 2 selected cells/ranges instead of hard coding the way I did it. Thank you so much

Code:
Sub myswab()
Dim tmp As Double
tmp = Range("a1").Value
Range("a1").Value = Range("b1").Value
Range("b1").Value = tmp
End Sub

Thank you so much for the explanation. So clear now but just last question please, why ax,a,b have to be variant? is that because they will be array if user select lets say a1:a10? Thank you once again

Yes, they will be array. But it won't work if you just select a1:a10 because that's only one column.
Note:
- the code also works for text not just for number.
- for non contiguous selection you can select different rows for the 2 areas selected, say you select A1:A3 & B5:B7.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Upvote 0
Hi, Rick Rothstein
Thanks for the code.
I didn't know we can use index for selection.
So is there any difference between "Selection.Item(1)" & "Selection(1)"?

I'm asking more for dealing with non contiguous range. Say I select A1 & C1, then I thought Selection.Item(2) will be C1, but actually it's A2.
So how can we get to C1 using an index of selection (or something else)?
As far as I know, Selection(1) is just a shortcut notation for Selection.Item(1), so to the best of my knowledge, there is no difference between them other then their length. The indexing applies to a single range... when you select non-contiguous cells (or ranges), you are selecting individual contiguous ranges one at a time... each one those contiguous ranges is called an Area. Areas are indexed (1, 2, 3, etc.) and the individual cells of each area's range (remember, it is contiguous) can be indexed within that range only... cell indexes cannot cross from one area to another area. Hopefully that all made sense (in re-reading it, I am not sure how clear it is)... if not, write back and I will try to explain it with different wording.

Upvote 0
Although in the examples given the ranges are contiguous perhaps the below link will clarify a bit as the behavior is the same as referenced in the quote
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/cells.htm

Thanks for the link Mark, that's very helpful.

As far as I know, Selection(1) is just a shortcut notation for Selection.Item(1), so to the best of my knowledge, there is no difference between them other then their length. The indexing applies to a single range... when you select non-contiguous cells (or ranges), you are selecting individual contiguous ranges one at a time... each one those contiguous ranges is called an Area. Areas are indexed (1, 2, 3, etc.) and the individual cells of each area's range (remember, it is contiguous) can be indexed within that range only... cell indexes cannot cross from one area to another area. Hopefully that all made sense (in re-reading it, I am not sure how clear it is)... if not, write back and I will try to explain it with different wording.

Thanks for the explanation, I think I understand it.

And I concluded there is no straight way to use index in non contiguous range, is it right?
I think I will explore the use of "Areas".

Thanks to both of you.(y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back