Swapping chart axis in Excel 2013

SammiH

I am trying to create a scattergraph of concentrations (x-axis) against depth (y-axis). Excel will let me create a graph where concentrations are on the y-axis and depth is on the x-axis.

Firstly, the options available to me when I open the 'select data' window, is 'Legend Entries (Series)' and 'Horizontal (Category) Labels Series'. When I try to swap the axes of the scattergraph (using the Select Data -> Switch Row/Column method I've seen suggested elsewhere on this forum), Excel moves both depth and concentrations to the 'Horizontal' box on the righthand side, and creates a new list in the 'Legend Entries (series)' box on the lefthand side: 'series 1', 'series 2', etc to 'series x'.

Help, please. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I think it must be something simple, but after two hours of trying everything option I could find, I can't seem to change it.

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
One thing i can say though is this ,excel always plots Y against X. X is taken as first column of data while Y is taken as second column, so one way could be to put the data you want on the X axis in column 1 while that for the Y axis in column 2 i.e reverse how you placed concentrations and depths on the sheet

Seecondly, after plotting the graph, when you go to DESIGN>SELECT DATA and on the left side, you will see series, click to edit the series. In series one, select the column that would be on the x-axis and in series 2, select the column you want on the Y-axis

Upvote 0
One thing i can say though is this ,excel always plots Y against X. X is taken as first column of data while Y is taken as second column, so one way could be to put the data you want on the X axis in column 1 while that for the Y axis in column 2 i.e reverse how you placed concentrations and depths on the sheet

Seecondly, after plotting the graph, when you go to DESIGN>SELECT DATA and on the left side, you will see series, click to edit the series. In series one, select the column that would be on the x-axis and in series 2, select the column you want on the Y-axis

Thank you for the suggestions. For anyone with a similar problem, swapping the columns around on the spreadsheet worked to swap the axes on my graph.

Unfortunately as I need to add several other columns from my spreadsheet to my x-axis, this method did not work for me. The 'Horizontal series' box would not allow the additon of new fields, and contained each data value from my 'concentrations' column as separate series.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what your issue is in the last paragraph. If it's not a scatter chart, you can only have one set of X values. If it's a scatter chart, each series allows unique X and Y data ranges.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daynle

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back