Syntax Error Not R1C1 Problem. Manual formula work fine

zuki01

Hi all,

I cannot fathom why this returns syntax error. I've done all the fiddles and bits I know and it still gives it me. The formula works fine when i type it in but when i do it in a macro. Nope. Ive typed the macro, I've recorded the macro. Nothing. Its driving me up the wall !!!
Code:
Sub Macro19_Lookup_Pallets()
    Sheets("Rcom").Select
    Range("Q1").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Pallets"
    Range("Q2").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 =
    "=IF(RC[-16]="""","""",TRIM(CONCATENATE(RC[-3],"" "",IFERROR(IFERROR(IFERROR(IFERROR(VLOOKUP(RC[-1],Hydra!C[5]:C[6],2,FALSE),VLOOKUP(RC[-2],Hydra!C[5]:C[6],2,FALSE)),VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE(RC[-15],"" "",TEXT(RC[-13],""DD/MM/YYYY""),"" "",RC[-15],"" "",""missing"","" "",TEXT(RC[-13],""DD/MM/YYYY"")),Hydra!C[5]:C[6],2,FALSE)),VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE(RC[-15],"" "",TEXT(RC[-10]" & _
        "/YYYY""),"" "",RC[-15],"" "",""missing"","" "",TEXT(RC[-10],""DD/MM/YYYY"")),Hydra!C[5]:C[6],2,FALSE)),""""))))"
    Range("Q2").Select
    Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("Q2:Q10131")
    Range("Q2:Q10131").Select
    Range("Q6").Select
    Sheets("Home").Select
End Sub

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
What's the manual equivalent of the formula ??

Upvote 0
Hi Michael,

It's

=IF(A2="","",TRIM(CONCATENATE(N2," ",IFERROR(IFERROR(IFERROR(IFERROR(VLOOKUP(P2,Hydra!V:W,2,FALSE),VLOOKUP(O2,Hydra!V:W,2,FALSE)),VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE(B2," ",TEXT(D2,"DD/MM/YYYY")," ",B2," ","missing"," ",TEXT(D2,"DD/MM/YYYY")),Hydra!V:W,2,FALSE)),VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE(B2," ",TEXT(G2,"DD/MM/YYYY")," ",B2," ","missing"," ",TEXT(G2,"DD/MM/YYYY")),Hydra!V:W,2,FALSE)),""))))

Upvote 0
Try
Is the formula always going to row 10131, or is it the last row in "Q" ?
Code:
Sheets("Rcom").Range("Q1").Value = "Pallets"
Sheets("Rcom").Range("Q2:Q10131").Formula = "=IF(A2="""","""",TRIM(CONCATENATE(N2,"" "",IFERROR(IFERROR(IFERROR(IFERROR(VLOOKUP(P2,Hydra!V:W,2,FALSE),VLOOKUP(O2,Hydra!V:W,2,FALSE)),VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE(B2,"" "",TEXT(D2,""DD/MM/YYYY""),"" "",B2,"" "",""missing"","" "",TEXT(D2,""DD/MM/YYYY"")),Hydra!V:W,2,FALSE)),VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE(B2,"" "",TEXT(G2,""DD/MM/YYYY""),"" "",B2,"" "",""missing"","" "",TEXT(G2,""DD/MM/YYYY"")),Hydra!V:W,2,FALSE)),""""))))"
Sheets("Home").Range("A1").Select
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Michael, sorry for the slow reply.

Its the last row in Q it goes down to. Which can be anything upto about 7000 - 9500 at the most.

Upvote 0
Based on how you've posted the code, you simply need a line continuation character:
Rich (BB code):
    Sheets("Rcom").Select
    Range("Q1").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Pallets"
    Range("Q2").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = _
    "=IF(RC[-16]="""","""",TRIM(CONCATENATE(RC[-3],"" "",IFERROR(IFERROR(IFERROR(IFERROR(VLOOKUP(RC[-1],Hydra!C[5]:C[6],2,FALSE),VLOOKUP(RC[-2],Hydra!C[5]:C[6],2,FALSE)),VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE(RC[-15],"" "",TEXT(RC[-13],""DD/MM/YYYY""),"" "",RC[-15],"" "",""missing"","" "",TEXT(RC[-13],""DD/MM/YYYY"")),Hydra!C[5]:C[6],2,FALSE)),VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE(RC[-15],"" "",TEXT(RC[-10]" & _
        "/YYYY""),"" "",RC[-15],"" "",""missing"","" "",TEXT(RC[-10],""DD/MM/YYYY"")),Hydra!C[5]:C[6],2,FALSE)),""""))))"
    Range("Q2").Select
    Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("Q2:Q10131")
    Range("Q2:Q10131").Select
    Range("Q6").Select
    Sheets("Home").Select
End Sub

Note - it's generally not advisable to return a space instead of "" in a formula.

Upvote 0
I think you have been given the solution but for future reference the macro recorder will not work on long formulas. At each line break it misses out part of the formula. From memory about 8 or 9 characters. Note this part of your formula:

VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE(RC[-15],"" "",TEXT(RC[-10]" & _
"/YYYY"")

This effectively becomes:

VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE(RC[-15],"" "",TEXT(RC[-10]/YYYY"")

This isn't valid as hopefully you can see.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back