Tab color not updating (VBA), despite target cell doing so

Quantonium

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm trying to use VBA to get tabs/sheets to change color depending on the TRUE/FALSE status of cell A1 (A1 checks if there are any FALSE values in a column of TRUE/FALSE values that will show FALSE if a certain value in that row is greater than a certain other value in that row). A1 updates accordingly when i restart excel, or press CTRL-ALT-F9, but the only way to get the tab-color to update is by writing something manually in a random cell in the specific sheet.

I would like the VBA to somehow recognize the A1 value as FALSE, and update the color of the tab.

I've included pictures of the VBA, general setup of the sheet, and intended outcome. Note that I know very little about VBA, and mostly followed an online guide for this to work.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    135.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 12

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
I suppose A1 is a formula, not a fixed text or number ?
How does that formula look like ?
If you know its' sources, you can tackle those.

Or you can use other events like selecting that worksheet, ....

Upvote 0
I suppose A1 is a formula, not a fixed text or number ?
How does that formula look like ?
If you know its' sources, you can tackle those.

Or you can use other events like selecting that worksheet, ....
Yes, A1 is a formula. I've included it in the top of the pictures. It simply checks if there are any FALSE values in the same column. The formulas below A1 are "=NOT(E# >= F#)" (where # is the row).

Upvote 0
if you don't know the structure of your workbook, i can only give you general advice.
The code here below is for the module "ThisWorkbook" , so you don't have to repeat that in the sheetmodules.

option 1 : As you open the workbook, the event "Workbook_open" is triggered and 'll loop through all worksheets and adjust the tabcolor

option 2 : when you go to another sheet (=activate), the event "Workbook_SheetActivate" is triggered and 'll check the tag of that activated worksheet

option 3 : when you change something in a workbook, the event "Workbook_SheetChange" is triggered and you can check any tab of any worksheet.

So now you can choose or describe better your case.
VBA Code:
Option Compare Text                                             ' this module is not case sensitive

Private Sub Workbook_Open()

Dim sh    As Worksheet
     For Each sh In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets                     'while opening check every worksheet
          Tab_color sh
     Next

End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_SheetActivate(ByVal sh As Object)
     Tab_color sh                                               'everytime you activate another worksheet, the tab of that sheet is updated
End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
     Select Case sh.Name                                        'in what sheet
          Case "BIOS2910", "KJM1140": If Not Intersect(Target, sh.Range("E:F")) Is Nothing Then Tab_color sh     'if something changed in those cells, check tabcolor
        Case "KJM3400": If Not Intersect(Target, sh.Range("A123:Z200")) Is Nothing Then Tab_color Sheets("BIOS2910")     'change in another sheet then the tab

End Select
End Sub

Sub Tab_color(sh As Worksheet)
     r = Application.Match(sh.Name, Array("KJM3400", "BIOS2910", "KJM1140"), 0) 'only for this sheets
     If IsNumeric(r) Then sh.Tab.ColorIndex = IIf(StrComp(sh.Range("A1").Value, "False", vbTextCompare) = 0, 53, 10)
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks a bunch! Appreciate it.
I chose a combination of option 1 and 2, such that it always checks all sheets when opening excel, and also checks all sheets whenever switching to/from any of the sheets.

Have a nice day!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back