Tab name list formula quite working with latest Excel update

kualjo

Board Regular
I've been using a formula that incorporates a named range in order to create a list of tabs in a dropdown. With the latest update of Excel, it has stopped working. I'm wondering if there something in the new version that would have disabled either the formula itself or the way the named range feeds the formula. The cell formula itself is:

=IFERROR(@INDEX(Sheets,ROW()),"-")

The named range formula (named Sheets) is:

=SUBSTITUTE(GET.WORKBOOK(1),"["&GET.WORKBOOK(16)&"]","")

The only change I can see is the addition of the @ symbol in the formula, which I know is a new Excel constant. If I remove it, I still return an error.

Can either of these be edited to return to the previous functionality? I can do a macro, but I'd prefer not to; the formulas have worked just fine until now and I'd rather stay with them..

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
If you put this in a cell (&clear all cells below) what do you get
Excel Formula:
=TRANSPOSE(Sheets)

Upvote 0
Solution
I do not use the Named Formula that follows but I built it to see if it works,
I have the current version of 365.

File Name.xlsm
ABC
111a
221b
331c
441d
551e
661f
9Named formulaListSheets=REPLACE(GET.WORKBOOK(1),1,FIND("]",GET.WORKBOOK(1)),"")
1a
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1:B6B1=INDEX(ListSheets,A1)

Upvote 0
Fluff, that looks like a remarkably simple solution, but I think the spill is going to create an issue due to other elements of my worksheet. Not sure if I can work around it or not.
Dave, it took me a minute to realize you had modified the named formula, but it seems to work like it did before. Looks like that might be my answer.
Thanks all!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You may want to use VBA.
Excel 4 Macros are fairly old; Excel version 4 or earlier!
Before Visual Basic for Applications, there were Excel macros, or XLM. VBA was introduced in Excel version 5.0 so these older XLM macros are also known as Excel 4 Macros.

Upvote 0
Fluff, that looks like a remarkably simple solution, but I think the spill is going to create an issue due to other elements of my worksheet.
Having it spill can make things simpler for instance if the formula is in A2 you can simply use
Excel Formula:
=A2#
in the data validation, rather than needing named ranges.

Upvote 0
The TRANSPOSE function initially gave me a #BLOCKED error. It said that was an old 4.0 macro and wouldn't work. Then I discovered that in the Macro Settings in the Trust Center, there is now a checkbox to allow those old macros to run. I checked it, tried again, and voila, problem solved! Thanks!

Upvote 0
Glad you sorted it & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyko

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back