Tables with Circle References

dfaszer

Hello All,

At my work, we are trying to create a master workbook that drives a few slave workbooks (5 in total as of right now). Using Excel 2010

In the slave workbooks, the user is to select, from a drop down list, the customer and then the project that is being worked on for the customer. This list is supplied from the master workbook. We will then log how many hours are used on that project. The data that the user supplied (hours logged, notes, ect.) is then to be sent back to the master workbook where the admin of the workbook can take the data and do as he sees fit.

I have the input field for the user set up as a Table (as this is fairly easy to extend for the user, instead of doing a dynamic range) that is then named specific for the user. To get the data back to the master, I was going to import a pivot table to a sheet on the master, specific for that user.

I am also going to have a customer/projects sheet on the master that will have a table with the customer info on it. This table will then be pushed to a similar sheet on the slave workbooks. The catch here tho, is that I want this table to be editable by the slave workbook, and then pushed back to the master. It is currently setup as a Table.

The reason for the circle reference here, is so that the user can add new customers to the table without editing the master workbook, but user Y, who is also working on the same project as user X can log his time without creating multiple customers. If user X spells the customer name correctly, and user Y is not paying attention, and spells it incorrectly, then on the master workbook, there will be duplicate entries and erroneous data.

I can figure out how to get the pivot table to the master easily enough. But I do not know how to make the customer table to have the circle reference, assuming that it is even possible.

I would prefer not to use VBA if possible.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
David

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Hi David
This is a spot on case for a DB, very simple system, ask yr IT guy to create the system for you, because you need reference and decentralized read/update/insert access to a one data repository.
Cheers
Sergio

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tayo4dgacorbanget

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back