Taking Over Someone Else's VBA code Advice

ViceFeels

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,

I recently was hired in a position where this company built all their VBA code and PowerBI analytics from the ground up with the temp that was before me.
It includes an extensive list of Excel Modules and PowerBI analytics with a lot of separate steps to clean up the data.
The person before me was gracious enough to write me a short explanation on what the modules do and walk me through a query and updating the PowerBI tool.

But I'm sitting here at a loss on what to do next to familiarize myself completely with the code.
So far, I've been writing comments on each line of VBA to make sure I know what each of the modules and code does.
For reference, the only time I used VBA before was to clean up data for Tableau (so similar in this context), but not on the level of the previous person. So I'm likely a beginner level.

Please give your advice!
:)

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Advice: make a list of the most used routines, and then run them step by step observe the results and after a while you will understand them.

Upvote 1
Welcome to the Board!

My advice would be to learn VBA. It is hard to understand what the code is doing if you do not understand the language!

There are lots of great resources out there, like introductory books (like this one: Microsoft Excel VBA and Macros (Office 2021 and Microsoft 365)) and on-line tutorials.
So pick whichever method suits you best.

And then once you have a good base knowledge, things will make a lot more sense. And of course if you have any specific questions, you can always post them to online Excel forums like this one!

Upvote 1
On top of what @Joe4 said - use F1 on any commands you don't understand. This will open the help on that command..... most of the time.
Also Shift+F2 when used on a call to a procedure or function will take you to that procedure/function. When used on a variable it will take you to the declaration of that variable.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back