text field keeps re-formatting to date in CSV

john777

Greetings everyone
I have a small but frustrating problem
I am trying to prepare a file for exporting into CSV format in order to transfer into a different application
For all date fields the format must be US and in following format mm/dd/yyyy. The problem is any date with a day number less than twelve only appears as mm/dd/yy. When you click on it, the full year appears but the other application will not accept it.
So for example a date which is 03/31/2015 will appear in full whereas a date which is 03/11/2015 appears as 03/11/15
I have tried re-formatting the fields as text which shows the full year but when I save as a CSV it will not save the new format. I have tried re-formatting the field to text, putting an apostrophe in front of the text before entering and using a formula TEXT(A1,"mm/dd/yyyy"). They all work but on closing the file and re-opening the field reverts back to a date field and the same problem re-occurs
does anyone know why this happens and whether it is curable
Many thanks for reading

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Welcome to the Board!

They all work but on closing the file and re-opening the field reverts back to a date field and the same problem re-occurs
does anyone know why this happens and whether it is curable
If it is a date field, and you use a Custom Date Format of "mm/dd/yyyy", then export/save your file as a CSV, it will work.

Where many people get tripped up is that they try to view the CSV using Excel. If you want to view what the actual data looks like in a CSV, NEVER use Excel! Excel converts the data again when it opens up the CSV (as long as you don't re-save that CSV file in Excel, those converted changed will NOT be permanent).

If you TRULY want to see what the data in a CSV file looks like, use a Text Editor to view it (like NotePad or WordPad or your favorite Text Editor). If you do that, I think you will see that you data appears as you want it to.

Upvote 0
Hello
I have kinda got round it by downloading libreoffice and using the spreadsheet on that. Basically the format doesn't re-convert everytime the CSV is opened.
The other problem on Excel is for any date where the day number is less that twelve ie 03/04/2014. The date is shown as 03/04/14 even though the custom date is set as mm/dd/yyyy. The application I am trying to transfer the data into then reads the year as two digits and rejects it. It all seems a bit perverse. Anyway can work round it now so thanks very much for reply

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
provoking

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back