Text To Column Split for Merged Zip Codes

blackystrat

Hello

I have a spreadsheet where the zip codes have been merged with other numbers making them invalid

For example, the actual zip code should be 37027 but for some error the ZIP appears as 370275378

I would like to know how I can split these numbers after five characters so that 370275378 would be split up as 37027 in one column and 5378 in the other

If i could even enter a delimiter such as a hyphen after the first 5 digits, I can then go ahead and split them up.

Please help

Thank you very much

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
you can use data...text to columns...fixed width....as long as its always the first 5 numbers, you'd just need to insert the deliminator line after the 5th number

Upvote 0
Select the column, click the "Data" tab on the Ribbon, find the "Data Tools" group and click the "Text to Columns" button. On the dialog box that appears, click the "Fixed width" option button, then click the "Next" button. On the next dialog page, click the numbered line at the 5 mark (so that a vertical line appears with 5 digits to its left), then click the "Finish" button.

Upvote 0
you can use data...text to columns...fixed width....as long as its always the first 5 numbers, you'd just need to insert the deliminator line after the 5th number

Yes! How could I not try that before posting here :(

Thank you so much for your prompt help

Upvote 0
Select the column, click the "Data" tab on the Ribbon, find the "Data Tools" group and click the "Text to Columns" button. On the dialog box that appears, click the "Fixed width" option button, then click the "Next" button. On the next dialog page, click the numbered line at the 5 mark (so that a vertical line appears with 5 digits to its left), then click the "Finish" button.

Thank you so much Rick. That worked perfectly :)

Deeply appreciate all of your help

Upvote 0
Is it one long cell?

If so, try this

=MID($A$1,5*ROWS($1:1)-4,5)

and drag down

Edit: Ah, too late

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
el_gazar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back