Text to Speech issues

Westley

Office Version
  1. 2016
  2. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
I just noticed that Excel 2016 reads out financial values incorrectly. When speaking a cell that contains "$276.74" it should say "two hundred seventy six dollars and seventy four cents" but instead it adds an extra 'and' where it does NOT belong, saying "two hundred _and_ seventy six dollars and seventy four cents". When writing a check, I have always been taught to use the word 'and' ONLY between the dollars and the cents, but whoever programmed Excel's text to speech apparently doesn't go by that rule. Is there any way to adjust how Excel speaks cells??

(On a different note, can the voice be changed?? I've changed the voice the Narrator uses, but Excel continues to use the default voice. [shrug])

Thanks!
WesT

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
I don't know if regional settings will make any difference....but in UK english...the way it is stated, is correct...maybe you need to move countries...LOL !!!

Upvote 0
I don't know if regional settings will make any difference....but in UK english...the way it is stated, is correct...maybe you need to move countries...LOL !!!
That's interesting...as I do have my keyboard set to UK English. I wonder what other settings may need to be changed.

Upvote 0
That's interesting...as I do have my keyboard set to UK English. I wonder what other settings may need to be changed.
As you brought it up, I searched for the rule and found an answer at How to Write Out Numbers Using Words on a Check
I'll keep looking (for country differences), but they say:

"And" Replaces the Decimal Point​

Do not use the word "and" after "hundred" or "thousand" if full dollar amounts follow it. The word “and” is only used before the number of cents (in place of the decimal point). In other words, you can use it after the hundreds or thousands, but only if the number of cents follows immediately after. Informally, you may hear people say, “two hundred and five dollars,” but that isn't the correct way to write the number. You may also hear people informally say, "point" in place of the decimal point ("twenty-three point seventy-five"), but that's also technically incorrect.

Upvote 0
Do not use the word "and" after "hundred" or "thousand" if full dollar amounts follow it. The word “and” is only used before the number of cents (in place of the decimal point). In other words, you can use it after the hundreds or thousands, but only if the number of cents follows immediately after.

That is correct! There is an old story about someone offering to to pay One hundred and two thousand dollars for a painting. The seller was shocked when $2,100.00 was received. o_O

Upvote 0
On a different note, can the voice be changed??
If you go to the Control Panel (not system settings), Speech recognition, Text to Speech, you can change the voice there.

Upvote 0
Solution
If you go to the Control Panel (not system settings), Speech recognition, Text to Speech, you can change the voice there.
Thanks! That answered that part of the question, but it's still putting in the extra 'and'.
It must have to do with the Language Preferences having both AE and BE. It seems BE takes precedence. :eek:

Upvote 0
I just noticed that Excel 2016 reads out financial values incorrectly. When speaking a cell that contains "$276.74" it should say "two hundred seventy six dollars and seventy four cents" but instead it adds an extra 'and' where it does NOT belong, saying "two hundred _and_ seventy six dollars and seventy four cents". When writing a check, I have always been taught to use the word 'and' ONLY between the dollars and the cents, but whoever programmed Excel's text to speech apparently doesn't go by that rule. Is there any way to adjust how Excel speaks cells??

(On a different note, can the voice be changed?? I've changed the voice the Narrator uses, but Excel continues to use the default voice. [shrug])

Thanks!
WesT
There is no fixing or correcting that Text to Speech Error, yet.
It is very annoying. But MS has its own "English".

Upvote 0
As I said...nothing to fix really...??

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back