This code is to alter the named Range size

Darren Smith

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
It says the Method Range of object worksheet failed.
What do I have to alter?
The "GantrySizes" is the named range

VBA Code:
Private Sub Gantry_Height_Width_Change()

Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim LastRow As Long
Dim LastColumn As Long
Dim StartCell As Range

Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("GantryID")
Set StartCell = ws.Range("A1")

LastRow = ws.Cells(ws.Rows.Count, StartCell.Column).End(xlUp).Row
  LastColumn = ws.Cells(StartCell.Row, ws.Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column

ws.Range("GantrySizes").Value = ws.Range(StartCell, ws.Cells(LastRow, LastColumn))

End Sub

Last edited:
What is the address of the existing named range GantrySizes ?
Where (what address range) are the details from the access spreadsheet table being written to in the spreadsheet ?
The address is on GantryID worksheet A1 to C5

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Is that the answer to the first or second question?

Upvote 0
(omit long rant masquerading as an explanation.)
Please explain
As a preliminary, note the distinction between a Range object and the .Range property of an object.

Many type of objects have a .Range property. This observation is about the differences between the .Range property of an Application object and of a Worksheet object (and to a lesser degree, as a property of a Range argument)

There are two forms of the .Range property. One form takes a single string argument, eg. Range("A1")
The other form takes two arguments, typically two Range objects, e.g. Range(aCell, bCell)
Both forms return an Range object.

The question arises, "on what sheet is the resulting range object?"

In the one argument form, the parent worksheet is determined by which object the .Range property is a member of.

A typical line of code is often unqualified (i.e. the default Application qualification)
VBA Code:
Set myCell = Range("A1")
' rather than then more fully (no defaults)
Set myCell = Application.Range("A1")
which sets myCell to be on the worksheet that is the ActiveSheet.
For many reasons, it is recommended that the coder qualify that line whenever possible.
VBA Code:
Set myCell = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1")
The unqualified statement returns the .Range property of the Application object. The Qualified statement returns the .Range property of a worksheet object.

That's the one argument form of the .Range property.

The two argument .Range property returns the Range object bound by the two arguments, both of them Range objects.
A Range object must have all of its cells on the same worksheet.
This is the cause of many errors (Lots of threads about this problem)
We see many threads where the coder will use code like this to return Sheet1!$A$1:$B$10 and wonders why it sometimes errors.
VBA Code:
Set myCells = Sheets("Sheet1").Range(Range("A1"), Range("B10"))
The reason why that errors is that the Range("A1") and Range("B10") are unqualified (i.e. properties of the Application object) and are, therefore, on the ActiveSheet. If Sheet1 is not the active sheet, the range bound by those two cells is not on Sheet1. Thus the error when one tries to make that not-on-Sheet1 range a property of the Sheet1 object.

If the coder reverses things and uses the (unstated) .Range property of the Application object for the outer .Range, and fully qualified inner arguments that come from properties of a worksheet object, the result will defiantly be on Sheet1 and the code will never error.
VBA Code:
Set myCells = Range(Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1"), Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B10"))

The upshot of all of this is that I treat the two argument form of a .Range property almost as a function rather than as a property. Qualifying (setting "which sheet") of the two argument form of Range is done by the arguments, not by the parent object.

Upvote 0
the result will defiantly be on Sheet1 and the code will never error
Unless that code is in the code module of a different sheet. Personally I recommend always qualifying all range/cells properties, unless they are in a worksheet and you intend to refer to that sheet.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but what you said above is for a static range is that correct?
I need a dynamic range...

Upvote 0
Your range is effectively static because you are calculating it in code, not using formulas.

Upvote 0
I would like to add access database detail straight into the Combobox rather than pasting it to a worksheet then fill it into Combobox?
I have raised a question for this on this forum.
Sorry I appreciate everyone's help though

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back