Timeline template - how to Customize

hlskov

I wish to create a timeline in excel as a way to gain overview of multiple projects. The timeline template in excel is fine if you only need to keep track of one project, but is there a way to create and overview which displays "multiple" timelines in one view? So you can compare? And is it possible to have the timeline "dots" appear in a way, which visually reflects the time between milestones in a better way? As far as I can see, the milestones just spread evenly on the timeline, eventhough there might be more weeks between some of them than others. I hope someone can help guide me in how to solve these to things, if it is possible. Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
I've done something that looks a little like a GANTT chart before. Is that the type if thing you're after?
In the rows I put the description, the start & the end date. For the columns I put the first day of the week in the column headers (I only put a date in the first column heading & just add 7 days to the left cell date cell for each of the next headings to the right).
In the GANTT I then use If functions to compare the week number of this element of the project & compare it to the week number of the column heading. If the project starts in the week of the column then the cell is highlighted and each subsequent column is also highlighted until you reach the end date.
I get the If function to deliver a word which I then use as a flag to highlight the cell via conditional formatting.
Using the word like this you can make the cell a different color based on other factors (importance of this element, whether it's started, stalled, or completed etc)

Upvote 0
Hi,
many thanks for the reply. I can try to look into what you suggest. However I am looking for a more visual way of displaying it via the actual Excel Timeline template.
https://templates.office.com/en-za/Project-timeline-with-milestones-TM00000009
As you can see in the link, when using the timeline, the data you insert - like the dates - will spread evenly on the line. This means they will not indicate the distance between things visually (based on the actual data), you will have to create your own "pattern", it does not place your dates/dots according to the actual interval between things.
Thanks again:)

I've done something that looks a little like a GANTT chart before. Is that the type if thing you're after?
In the rows I put the description, the start & the end date. For the columns I put the first day of the week in the column headers (I only put a date in the first column heading & just add 7 days to the left cell date cell for each of the next headings to the right).
In the GANTT I then use If functions to compare the week number of this element of the project & compare it to the week number of the column heading. If the project starts in the week of the column then the cell is highlighted and each subsequent column is also highlighted until you reach the end date.
I get the If function to deliver a word which I then use as a flag to highlight the cell via conditional formatting.
Using the word like this you can make the cell a different color based on other factors (importance of this element, whether it's started, stalled, or completed etc)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back