Toggling "DisableAnimations" registry edit for Excel 2013 animations

L33

Board Regular
Hi all,

My work has finally given us Windows 8.1 and Office 2013 Professional Plus. But new Excel was giving me severe motion sickness because I'm always Ctrl-arrowing to navigate around a worksheet.

I found several webpages that described a registration edit that disables the animations (How To Code: Office 2013: Disable transition and cursor animations) which has improved the experience considerably. But although I want to prevent the cell selector navigation animations, I actually like the smooth, flowing transitions that charts display when their source data is changed.

I know this isn't strictly an Excel question, but does anyone know of a way to toggle the registration edit described at that link on and off? Either a desktop shortcut, or - to make this post more Excel centric - a VBA solution that'd interact with the registry and could be activated from a macro-assigned QAT button? That way I could perhaps switch between "developer" and "presentation" modes..?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: You know what - I just re-read the webpage I found the edit on, and it says you have to reboot for the change to take effect, so a VBA solution here almost certainly couldn't work.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
This seems to be the only way

[h=1]Turn off Office animations[/h] <section class="ocpIntroduction">Office 2013 is the first release to use hardware acceleration throughout the user experience to deliver beautiful, fluid animations. However, if you use your computer without a display or you simply prefer to eliminate unnecessary animations, you have the choice to turn them off.
</section><section class="ocpSection">To turn off Office animations
  1. Open the Ease of Access Center by pressing the Windows logo key + U.
  2. Under Explore all settings, click Use the computer without a display.
  3. Under Adjust time limits and flashing visuals, click Turn off all unnecessary animations (when possible).

4. Click OK.

It should ease the business environment
</section>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NyDarR

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back