Too Few Parameters in VB, but works in Query

TesseractE

(Access 2010)

I'm getting 'Too Few Parameters: Expected 1' from VB. Usually, when I'm trying to get OpenRecordset to work in VB and it fails due to 'Too Few Parameters', I have a debug.print spit out the SQL String, plug the string into a Query and get a better, more precise error message to work with. Not this time, though. The output works perfectly fine in SQL View.

I've checked a few suggestions I found on other resources and some issues with this that I've resolved in the past...
  • The 'A_TotalAudits' Query's working just fine
  • It doesn't look like any of the field names are Reserved.
  • The only fields that are accepting strings from VB are 'Text', and are being fed text values, so it shouldn't be a type mismatch.
  • It's not referring to any fields on Forms or TempVars (So no QueryDefs should be needed)
  • Option Compare Database, Option Explicit at the top of the Form Object

I can't post all of the code or any of my DBs, as some of it's confidential info, but I can share the script that's generating the issue:

Code:
QMSkills = Split(TempVars!tv_QMLive & TempVars!tv_QMTraining, "-")

Do Until x = UBound(QMSkills)
    If SearchString = "" Then
      SearchString = "(InStr(1,[Live Regions] & [Training Regions],'" & QMSkills(x) & "-')>0)"
      Else
        SearchString = SearchString & " or (InStr(1,[Live Regions] & [Training Regions],'" & QMSkills(x) & "-')>0)"
    End If
    x = x + 1
  Loop

Debug.Print Len(SearchString)

x = 0

If SearchString = "" Then Exit Sub

SQLString = "SELECT [Agent Master].[Rep Name], [Agent Master].Site, [Agent Master].[Indigo ID], [Agent Master].[Agent Comments], [Agent Master].ACD, [Agent Master].[LAN ID], [Agent Master].EXT, [Agent Master].System, [Agent Master].[Fidelity ID], [Agent Master].Manager, [Agent Master].[2nd Level Mgr], [Agent Master].[Delta Comments], [Agent Master].[Delta Change Date], [Agent Master].[Delta End Date], [Agent Master].[Current Target], [Agent Master].[Live Regions], [Agent Master].[Training Regions], [Agent Master].[Last Click], A_TotalAudits.Audits " & _
              "FROM [Agent Master] INNER JOIN A_TotalAudits ON [Agent Master].[Rep Name] = A_TotalAudits.[Rep Name] " & _
              "WHERE ((" & SearchString & ") and (A_TotalAudits.Audits < [Agent Master].[Current Target]) and (Int((Now()-[Last Click])*1440)>359)) " & _
              "ORDER BY A_TotalAudits.Audits, [Agent Master].[Indigo ID]; "
  Debug.Print SQLString
  Set AM = DB.OpenRecordset(SQLString)

And the "Debug.Print SQLString" resolves in this case to:

Code:
SELECT [Agent Master].[Rep Name], [Agent Master].Site, [Agent Master].[Indigo ID], [Agent Master].[Agent Comments], [Agent Master].ACD, [Agent Master].[LAN ID], [Agent Master].EXT, [Agent Master].System, [Agent Master].[Fidelity ID], [Agent Master].Manager, [Agent Master].[2nd Level Mgr], [Agent Master].[Delta Comments], [Agent Master].[Delta Change Date], [Agent Master].[Delta End Date], [Agent Master].[Current Target], [Agent Master].[Live Regions], [Agent Master].[Training Regions], [Agent Master].[Last Click], A_TotalAudits.Audits FROM [Agent Master] INNER JOIN A_TotalAudits ON [Agent Master].[Rep Name] = A_TotalAudits.[Rep Name] WHERE (((InStr(1,[Live Regions] & [Training Regions],'[COL]-')>0) or (InStr(1,[Live Regions] & [Training Regions],'[LIQ]-')>0) or (InStr(1,[Live Regions] & [Training Regions],'[HPS]-')>0) or (InStr(1,[Live Regions] & [Training Regions],'[BK]-')>0) or (InStr(1,[Live Regions] & [Training Regions],'[MED]-')>0) or (InStr(1,[Live Regions] & [Training Regions],'[DRAC]-')>0) or (InStr(
1,[Live Regions] & [Training Regions],'[CCRG]-')>0) or (InStr(1,[Live Regions] & [Training Regions],'[LIT]-')>0)) and (A_TotalAudits.Audits < [Agent Master].[Current Target]) and (Int((Now()-[Last Click])*1440)>359)) ORDER BY A_TotalAudits.Audits, [Agent Master].[Indigo ID];

The purpose of this is to take the list of a QM's Skills that are stored as strings (TempVars!tv_QMLive & TempVars!tv_QMTraining) and find the Representatives ('Reps') that they would be qualified to handle (Rep Skills are listed in [Live Regions] & [Training Regions]). We also want to only bring up Reps who've had fewer audits than their target (A_TotalAudits.Audits < [Agent Master].[Current Target]) and who've NOT been selected within the last 6 hours (Int((Now()-[Last Click])*1440)>359)).

Any suggestions?

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
To make sure my VBA SQL code works as intended, I usually build the SQL statement directly in the QBE and then convert it for VBA usage. I have short form that I import into my data base that does this for me. I have posted a copy of this form in a database and it can be downloaded at:

https://app.box.com/s/qc7hiqu9n08janxuhmzf

Upvote 0
Heh. I appreciate the offer of the sample, but I can't access Box (or really ANY online drive) from work due to information security restrictions, and I can't work on my project from home yet. XD

But if you're suggesting that I create the Query in the Query Builder, then bring it over to VB, that's what I usually do. It's a little tricky in this case, since I have to create part of that query on the fly with variables, but the compiled query after those variables are inserted works perfectly fine in a direct Query environment in Access. Just doesn't seem to like it in VB.

Upvote 0
Well, I can't seem to edit prior posts, so I'll just update here with the latest...

I tracked the problem down to the FROM statement. Removing every other reference to the Query I was trying to JOIN with, but leaving the INNER JOIN in place still gave me the error.

The Query [A_TotalAudits] is just there to provide a count of how many times [Agent Master].[Rep Name] appears in the Table [Audit History], so I tore out the Query and plugged in a simple 'Count' instead, joining directly to the [Audit History] table. It took some additional fiddling, but here's the finished (WORKING!) product:

Code:
SQLString = "SELECT [Agent Master].[Rep Name], [Agent Master].Site, [Agent Master].[Indigo ID], [Agent Master].[Agent Comments], [Agent Master].ACD, [Agent Master].[LAN ID], [Agent Master].EXT, [Agent Master].System, [Agent Master].[Fidelity ID], [Agent Master].Manager, [Agent Master].[2nd Level Mgr], [Agent Master].[Delta Comments], [Agent Master].[Delta Change Date], [Agent Master].[Delta End Date], [Agent Master].[Current Target], [Agent Master].[Live Regions], [Agent Master].[Training Regions], [Agent Master].[Last Click], Count([Audit History].Agent) AS CountOfAgent " & _
              "FROM [Agent Master] LEFT JOIN [Audit History] ON [Agent Master].[Rep Name] = [Audit History].Agent " & _
              "WHERE ((" & SearchString & ") and (Format([Audit Date],'mmmm')=Format('" & TempVars!DateOverride & "','mmmm')) and (Int((Now()-[Last Click])*1440)>359)) " & _
              "GROUP BY [Agent Master].[Rep Name], [Agent Master].Site, [Agent Master].[Indigo ID], [Agent Master].[Agent Comments], [Agent Master].ACD, [Agent Master].[LAN ID], [Agent Master].EXT, [Agent Master].System, [Agent Master].[Fidelity ID], [Agent Master].Manager, [Agent Master].[2nd Level Mgr], [Agent Master].[Delta Comments], [Agent Master].[Delta Change Date], [Agent Master].[Delta End Date], [Agent Master].[Current Target], [Agent Master].[Live Regions], [Agent Master].[Training Regions], [Agent Master].[Last Click] " & _
              "HAVING (((Count([Audit History].Agent)) < [Current Target])) " & _
              "ORDER BY [Agent Master].[Indigo ID], Count([Audit History].Agent); "

So I guess the lesson here is to avoid Joining Queries for a VB Recordset?

I don't like the fact that I had to explicitly define every GROUP BY and SELECT field, but at least it works! I welcome any recommendations on how to simplify this, of course.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back