amytrez

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
  3. Web
Hi everyone!

I am trying to write a formula that will take a range of cells (ex. D2:H2), count the total number of comma separated values, and then eliminate duplicates. I've tried using the LEN function, ARRAYFORMULA function, UNIQUE function, in a variety of ways and cannot come up with the correct values! When I actually get a value returned, it's always zero. The values themselves are times (ex. 9:30, 11:00) but the cells are all treated as plain text.

Has anyone ever used a similar formula they can share? Bonus points if it also works in Google Sheets!

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Hi amytrez,

See if this works for you...
Book1
DEFGH
29:30,11:30,11:458:30,11:30,13:4519:30,11:30,11:4514:30,11:32,11:489:31,11:30,11:45
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D4D4=COUNTA(UNIQUE(TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN(",",TRUE,D2:H2),,",",TRUE,0)))

I know not how to get your bonus points:unsure:

Hope that helps,

Doug

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

count the total number of comma separated values, and then eliminate duplicates.
Does that mean you are looking for two different results, one for the count and one for the eliminations?
How would the result(s) with the duplicates eliminated look? All in one cell? Something else?

If there were three 11:30 times, would there be
- one 11:30 remaining because it is only the second & third ones that you consider duplicates, or
- no 11:30 remaining because you consider all are duplicates and therefore removed?

A few samples and the expected results with XL2BB would help considerably.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Does that mean you are looking for two different results, one for the count and one for the eliminations?
How would the result(s) with the duplicates eliminated look? All in one cell? Something else?

If there were three 11:30 times, would there be
- one 11:30 remaining because it is only the second & third ones that you consider duplicates, or
- no 11:30 remaining because you consider all are duplicates and therefore removed?

If there were three 11:30s, I would only count 1. The reason is that I'm totalling up intervals, and there is only one 11:30 interval per day but multiple events could happen during that interval and have it listed.

Upvote 0
If there were three 11:30s, I would only count 1.
Thanks. That leaves these still unanswered though. ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks. That leaves these still unanswered though. ;)
Here's an example:
Data set 1Data Set 2Result
1:30, 2:00, 4:301:30, 3:00, 4:30, 5:005
(counts 3 values)(counts four values, eliminates 1:30 and 4:30)(returns 5 values total)

Upvote 0
The formula in post 2 didn't work in google sheets, but I just came up with the answer and it's way simpler than I was making it lol

Write a formula that adds multiple single-cell LEN functions together!
=((LEN(TRIM(M2))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(M2),",",""))+1)+(LEN(TRIM(N2))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(N2),",",""))+1))

But here's my next issue...the LEN function returns a value of "1" for empty cells, I think because it's inserting a zero. What do I add to the formula to remove them?

Upvote 0
The formula in post 2 didn't work in google sheets,
Well, you have asked the question in the Excel Questions forum and you did state that working in Google sheets was for 'bonus points' not a basic requirement.
If this is a Google Sheets question then it is in the wrong forum.

but I just came up with the answer and it's way simpler than I was making it lol
But that formula does nothing to eliminate duplicates and does not produce the expected result of 5 for your sample data. So as far as I can see it has little to do with your original question. :unsure:

23 09 11.xlsm
MNO
21:30, 2:00, 4:301:30, 3:00, 4:30, 5:007
Count times
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
O2O2=((LEN(TRIM(M2))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(M2),",",""))+1)+(LEN(TRIM(N2))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(N2),",",""))+1))

If you just want to count the values, and some cells could be empty, then try this. I have assumed at least one cell will have a value.

23 09 11.xlsm
LMNO
41:30, 2:00, 4:301:30, 3:00, 4:30, 5:007
Count times
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
O4O4=LET(t,TEXTJOIN(",",1,L4:N4),LEN(t)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(t,",",""))+1)

For the unique count, does this also work in Google Sheets?

23 09 11.xlsm
LMNP
41:30, 2:00, 4:301:30, 3:00, 4:30, 5:005
Count times
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
P4P4=ROWS(UNIQUE(FILTERXML("<p><c>"&SUBSTITUTE(TEXTJOIN(",",1,L4:N4),",","</c><c>")&"</c></p>","//c")))

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back